One step at a time.
As promised yesterday, we primed the doors today on the Mustang. Because they were prepped yesterday, all we had to do today was clean them, hang them and shoot a good coat of epoxy and and 3 coats of slick sand. We started by cleaning the doors with a wax and grease remover. This step removes any contaminates that get on the panel. Next was the epoxy. This is the water proofing product and the product that really bites into the metal for adhesion. Then we have slick sand. This is the high build primer that allows us to block out so the panels are super straight. We did not slick sand the inside of the doors because the slick sand would have filled in the textured grain of the interior and we didnt want that.
The last couple of hours in the day were spent cleaning out all of the old seam sealer in the cowl area. That stuff had been there for 49 years. I figured its best to get it on out and put in some new since we were already here. Seam sealer is a glue type product that is made to fill in the weld seams to keep water from getting in there and either rusting or causing a water leak. We didn’t get that far today on the body but we did get the seams all cleaned out and ready to go. One step at a time.