Monthly Archives: March 2013
These Harley Davidson side bags were dropped off by the owner the other day. They are extended bags, which means they are a little longer than the factory bags. The side covers are stock but had a few scratches in them that he wanted fixed. Yesterday we primed the new bags. Today we prepped them and painted them. Picture 3 and 4 show the bags sanded and ready to paint.
The silver parts belong to a different Harley owner. They are frame covers that fill in areas around the bags. These covers were chrome so they needed to be sanded very very well. Just about all of the chrome was sanded off, then prepped for paint. The first coat of paint of paint was epoxy. This product really bites into the metal and allows the subsequent layers to stick. After the epoxy, Chase applied 3 coats of Brilliant Silver, then 2 coats of clear.
Chase did a great job on the bags and the covers. These Harley owners are almost ready for the riding season.
Back on the Satellite today, Chris did a great job two toning the grill. It really turned out nice. We also finished buffing the body and late today Chris and I had a little time left to hang the right doors. Since this one has all of its parts painted, we should move along on it now pretty good. Tomorrow we plan on installing the left doors and trunk and maybe the fenders.
Friday we were able to get the wet sanding on the Satellite wrapped up. Today we got a great start on bringing the shine back. We got to step 2 before running out of time today. Our first step on buffing is to use a heavy compound to cut the sanding scratches. Then we switch to a milder cutting compound to remove the swirls from the first step. This is were we stopped. Tomorrow we will go over this again with a very mild polishing compound to remove the buffing swirls. Then finally we hand polish it to finish it off. Tomorrow these quarters will look like a mirror.
Ever see those scraps of tractor trailer tires strewn about on the highway? Well this is what happens when you run over one of those. The owner of this 350 had no choice but to hit a chunk of tire and it too a hard lick to the grill. Upon first inspection it looks as though we just need a bumper and a splash of paint, but after removing the bumper we found a surprise. The impact was so severe that the tire broke the radiator support as well as a few other parts behind the bumper. The job of the radiator support is pretty self explanatory. It holds the radiator, A/C condenser and the hood latch. Because this is an insurance job, we will have to show them what we found and alert the owner. No big deal really, just protocol. As soon as we get the o.k. on everything, we will get rolling going on it asap.
This brand NEW Altima has already gotten a battle scar. These pictures show the results of an unfortunate accident one day after it was purchased. The damage is fairly substantial but not horrible. We will have to use our frame shop to pull out the quarter to see if it can be repaired or if it will have to replaced. Either way, its in good hands. We will do whats best for the car here. There are some bump ups that look really bad but fix pretty easily. Its possible this falls into that category. We will see once its back from the frame shop. We do know a new bumper, tail light and a bumper mount will be needed because these are defiantly not repairable. Stay tuned to see where this one goes.
This afternoon we were able to get the Satellite sanded and ready for buffing. This was painted about 2 weeks ago and we will buff it out on Monday if our plan holds together. We did this just like we do all of our High Performance Finishes. 1000 grit paper first, 2000 next, 3000 grit sand paper last. Then we will buff the shine back up using progressively finer compounds. A few hours buffing early next week and we hope to start putting this one back together for the customer.
D-Day! Today the owner picked up the Trans Am. She was very pleased with the results. We even pleasantly surprised her with the custom Trans Am logo and bird on the back. We went out on a limb and changed it up some from the factory color which was red. You can see the results in the 3rd and 4th pictures. All in all the car turned out pretty good.
Monday we painted some parts on the Mustang. Today we wet sanded and buffed them out. We were also able to get the interior of the doors painted. The interior of the Mustang is semi-flat black. We started wet sanding the parts with a block and 1000 grit paper. The block is used to flatten out the clear. This gives you the super slick look. After the 1000 block, we hand sanded the panels with 1000 grit. Once that was done, we hand sanded with 2000 grit paper. This is to smooth out the 1000 grit scratches. After that, we wet sanded the panels with 3000 grit paper on a dual action sander. The purpose of all this is to make the buffing much easier. When these parts get buffed, they also go through 3 steps. The first step is the cutting step. We use a heavy cutting compound that removes all the sanding scratches but does leave buffing scratches in their place. These are taken care of by the next step. A mild polishing compound is used next to remove the cutting scratches. Finally the third step smooths away swirl marks left by the previous one. A hand polish finishes out the High Performance Finish. The last picture shows the results of all this time consuming hard work.