Monthly Archives: November 2013
The Maxima took its turn in the booth first thing this morning. We started by sanding the bumper to ensure proper adhesion. We then slid the bumper in the booth and taped up the areas that we didnt want to get paint on. A coat of sealer, 3 coats of color and 3 coats pearl then 2 coats of clear. Because the bumper was painted early enough in the day, we were able to get it all back together. It also got washed today. Quick turn around keeps the customers happy.
With all the other things going on in the shop today, we still managed to make some time to get the body off of the Chevelle. We had the lift installed last week and its first job is to hold this body for a while. The owner wanted the bottom of the car to be painted just like it was from the factory, so, we are giving him what he wants. This will also allow us to paint the frame properly and install new body bushings and any thing else that needs to be done.
The bed side for the dually had its turn in the booth today. Jordan sanded it and the inner fender as well as the support brackets this morning. Next he put them in the booth and prepped them for paint. We started with a full coat of sealer on all parts followed by 3 coats of color then 2 coats of clear. Unfortunately, we didnt get a picture after we cleared the parts. Tomorrow we hope to get the truck in the booth and paint the doors. The last picture you can see that Jordan has sanded the primer areas and is scotching the rest of the panels. Its not a fun part of the job, but its one of the most important.
This Maxima came in today to get the front bumper repaired. There was a slight bump on the front bumper that caused a knot in the plastic. We started by heating up the knot and pushing it down as flat as possible. We then sanded the area and used the proper bumper repair filler to do the final straitening. We then primed the area. Tomorrow we will sand the rest of the bumper, prep it up and get it painted.
This dually came into today to get a repair on where a deer went hunting for Chevy. The owner was driving home late one night and saw the deer, gave him all the room he could but instead the deer decided to slam right into the side of his truck. As you can see from the pictures, he did quite a bit of damage. Two decent dents in the metal doors and he totally demolished the bedside then, ripped the metal brackets out from under it as well. Dont worry about the deer though. If this didnt do him in, the trailer he was pulling surely did. Fortunately there was no damage done to it. So, we did get the old bedside off today and we were able to get the dents fixed in the doors. We will get primer on them tomorrow and if all goes well, paint the bedside tomorrow too. We will have to paint this truck in shifts. Since these bedsides are fairly easy to install with several people, we will paint it off the truck to allow us to get all of the edges. Monday we will get the doors painted then put this truck back together. A repair that looks really bad, but not a bad fix.
While I was painting the Versa, Chris was working hard on the Camaro. He did get the combination figured out on putting the vent windows back together as well as how to put the back quarter glasses back in. You see, when you are not the person who took things apart, its really hard to figure out how they go back together. But as usual Chris gets things figured out. His patience really pays off on things like this.
Today was a great productive day. We did get the Versa painted today. We started by blocking out all of the body work. We then sanded the panels with a dual action sander. After that we used a scotch bright pad to sand the edges and nooks and crannies. We then put it in the booth and masked off all the areas we didnt want to get paint on. As usual, a coat of sealer over the new panels and primer areas. After that flashed off, we applied 3 coats of color followed then by 2 coats of clear. The car turned out great. We will get the bumper painted tomorrow and start putting it back together. We are moving right along now.
This Land Cruiser was the “other’ vehicle from yesterdays post with the Prius. This is the one that the Prius hit. Both had about the same amount of damage. We started by removing the front bumper and the broken flare. We then pulled out the fender and straightened the bracket holds the fender and bumper together right there. We then tapped out the dent that was in the fender and sanded smooth the bad spots in the bumper. We used body filler on the fender to smooth out the rest of the dent. Once the body work was done, we primed the bumper and the fender. A few hours later, we blocked out the primer and prepped the bumper and fender for paint. We had a little time this afternoon, and thought we would go ahead and slide it in the booth to get it ready for tomorrow. Next thing I know we were spraying the clear on it. Sometimes things just go smoothly. The Prius and this Land Cruiser definitely fell into that category.