Daily Archives: January 21, 2014

Fun times

IMG_3396 IMG_3413 IMG_3410 IMG_3409 IMG_3415 IMG_3417 IMG_3419Chris spent the morning working on this Mustang while I was smoothing in the recessed area on the other Mustang we have in the shop. Once I reached a stopping point, I jumped in to help Chris. It was just in time to pull it outside and to scotch brite all the edges and wash it. Good thing it was about 35 degrees out this morning. The water only “felt” like it was going to freeze on the car.  We then let it drip dry for a few hours. Once it was dry, we started blowing it off and wiping it down again, in preparation for taping it up. While the parts for the Explorer were drying, we started taping this one up. Knowing how long it takes to paint a car all over and knowing how much time is added to the job when you paint stripes, we chose to get a head start on painting this one today. As with every car we paint, a coat of sealer was applied to the entire car. Once that was dry, 4 good coats of color were sprayed. This is where we stopped today. Tomorrow the plan is to tape off the stripes, spray them, then clear it. Not too bad for a days work.

Explorer time

IMG_3400 IMG_3398 IMG_3401 IMG_3402 IMG_3407 IMG_3406The parts for the Explorer came in today so not wanting to waste any time, we jumped on it. Chris and I sanded the parts then set them up in the booth.  After prepping them, a coat of sealer was applied to allow for better coverage. We then sprayed several coats of color. You can see the sealer in the first pictures followed by the dull base coat in the next set. The clear coat thats shown in the last pictures provide the protection and the gloss. Its what makes the color come to life.

Hood customizing

IMG_3388 IMG_3389 IMG_3391 IMG_3393This hood is off of a 1999 Mustang thats in the shop for a High Performance Finish makeover.  The owner wants to do away with honey comb insert thats in the hood. So, today we obliged. We started by removing the insert and using it as a template to cut a new section out of an old bumper to fill in the void.  After a bit of prepping on both the hood and the new filler piece a special 2 part glue was used to hold the cut out in place. This glue takes the better part of a day to dry so tomorrow we will finish this one up.

%d bloggers like this: