Monthly Archives: May 2014
This is the ’67 Chevelle that we started on last week. This week we were able to get the doors trimmed out, the hood and trunk trimmed out and the top of them painted. Tomorrow we plan on painting the tops of the door tomorrow. Jordan spent some time today wet sanding the hood, so we also will try to get the hood and trunk buffed out. As with all of our High Performance Finishes, we start by applying a coat of urethane sealer. This seals up panel and makes a uniform surface for the paint. Once the sealer was dry, we painted the parts with black base coat. After the base coat went on, we applied two coats to the inside of parts and three to outside parts that will get buffed. We put an extra coat on those parts because of the amount of material that will get removed when buffed. We should post some pictures of that tomorrow or sometime over the weekend.
This beautiful Altima went back to its owner on Friday. We surprised him by having it ready a couple of days early. As you can see the repair really turned out great. A new bumper, a repair on the quarter panel, followed by spraying those parts with factory matched pearl white paint rounded out the repair. The owner was very pleased with both the repair and our timeliness of getting it back to him.
This afternoon we took some time to trim out the hood and trunk on the ’67 Chevelle. Yesterday we block sanded the tops of these and they are ready to paint. We like to do the bottom side first when we can to reduce the chance of scratching the top side. Next week we can flip these over and spray the top side. We will then move on to the fenders and doors. The first two pictures show what the panels look like before the clear. That is what dried base coat looks like. There is a layer of sealer under that base but we didnt get a shot of that. The last two pictures show after the clear. That is where the shine and protection come from. Nothing looks better than a slick black paint job.
This 1967 Chevelle came in last week to get a nice coat of paint. The owner has been painstakingly rebuilding this car for a few years now. He has done a lot of the hard work already and its now time for paint. We started by blocking out all of the body panels making sure they are straight and ready for paint. We did find a few areas that will need attention but for the most part, the owner did a great job. We had a little time left at the end of the day today and chose to spend it painting some of the interior parts that are semi-gloss black. These pieces are finished and ready to go back to the owner. We will not be assembling this one. The owner wants to put it back together himself, which is fine with us. Tomorrow we may get some primer on the areas we found today and might, just might put some color on a part or two.
This is the Altima that came in last week. We got it back from the frame shop yesterday and spent yesterday afternoon prepping it for paint today. This morning we put it in the booth and painted it up. Tomorrow we will get it all back together and cleaned up. The customer will be picking up a clean Altima, ready for the weekend.
This F150 came in to get the hood an tonneau cover repainted. This truck is equipped with a GTR package. It is an appearance package that really jazzes the truck up. These parts haven’t really stood up to the elements so the owner wanted to get them looking new again. When this truck was built, the company that installed these parts didnt use a clear coat. They painted the add on parts with a single stage paint. Which means the paint dried shiny instead of having to apply a clear coat. This saves time and money for the builders, but single stage paint does not hold up as well as base coat clear coat. So we fixed that for him. We removed the parts to make for a nice, clean job on this truck. We then sanded the parts down to get to good paint. After that we prepped then and put them in the booth. As usual a coat of sealer was applied followed by a few coats of color then 2 coats of high solids clear. This truck will be back with its owner tomorrow.
This Juke was involved in a pretty good bump up. Unfortunately, it suffered damage on both ends. Being in the middle of an accident means you are the one who suffers the most damage. After being hit in the rear, this Juke was pushed into the car in front of them. Although the front is not near as bad as the rear, we will be installing a new front bumper up there as well. The rear will be getting a new hatch, rear bumper, all the metal in front of the rear bumper that supports it. We went ahead and removed all the interior parts because the new rear body panel will have to be welded in. We remove those parts to ensure they dont get burn marks in them from the welder. We hope to get this one back in a few days from the frame shop. It will have to be pulled on the frame machine before the rear body can be replaced. We will keep you informed on this one as we move along.
Today we were able to work on the Chevelle today. We had enough time to sand the hood down and lay out the stripes and clear it. The first thing we did was sand the hood so we would have a smooth ground coat to put the stripes on. We the measured out were the stripes would go and started taping. The center was found first followed by marking how wide they would be. Once they tapped off we put the hood in the boot. We ghosted these stripes in. This way the owner get Super Sport stripes, but they dont stand out and over power the overall look of the car. The last two pictures show the look we are going for. Depending on the way your looking at the hood and the lighting at the time, depends on if you will see the stripes or not. Its a pretty cool effect and adds just the right touch.