Monthly Archives: October 2014
Good day tater
Success! We were able to get the bedside painted from yesterday. We started early this morning dressing the welds and smoothing them up. We primed it right before lunch which made perfect timing for paint this afternoon. Since it is a two-tone truck, we painted the bottom color first because its much easier to tape up the smaller amount. Once the silver was dry, we masked it off and sprayed the green. We then sprayed the green. Once the green was dry we un-taped the lower color and applied the clear. Tomorrow, re-assembly
Color me red
Another milestone reached today on the ’52 Ford. After all the hard work of getting the rear fenders straight, they were painted this afternoon. Chris and I spent the morning blocking out the final primer coat that was sprayed on last week. Once that was done, we went over the panels with a DA sander with a soft interface pad to remove the blocking scratches. Once the sanding was done, we put the panels in the booth, masked off the back side of them to keep the red paint off of the bedliner then sprayed a coat of urethane sealer on them. After the sealer was dry, 3 coats of red was sprayed. After those coats were dry, 3 coats of clear were laid down nice and slick. The clear coat will be sanded in a week or so and buffed back out to a super high gloss. This process makes the paint look a mile deep and provides the ultimate in reflection.
Bits and pieces
These are custom parts for the ’52 Ford. They are designed to fill in the area around the radiator to provide a finished smoothed up look when the hood is opened. Chris started by grinding down all the welds and smoothing up some edges. Then he repaired the top side of the large cover to hide all the welded areas. Once that was done, they were hung up in the booth and a coat of epoxy was sprayed on both sides of the parts. This coating is water proof and really adheres to bare metal. Once the epoxy had dried we seam sealed all the welded places up on the back side to keep water from getting in the welds. Lastly 3 good coats of urethane primer was sprayed on the bigger parts that will be seen. The other parts are basically brackets and braces. These pieces will be painted a flat black so the extra priming steps are not needed here. The grey primer parts will be body color and will look as good as the outside of the truck. Next week, we keep plugging along on this one. Have a great weekend!!
After spending a few days on these fenders, Chris has gotten them ready for primer. The body work has been moving along nicely on them of the past few days. Its a tedious process of applying filler, blocking the filler ensure a flat smooth surface and repeating those steps where necessary. Towards the end of the day today, we primed them. Tomorrow we will block out this primer, fix any places we missed and prime them yet again. Yes, its a lot of steps but its necessary to ensure a quality repair.
New, but old.
This old rat rod has been up fitted with a brand new paint job today. Yes, I said brand new. We pulled out all the stops and used up a whole bag of tricks to get make this paint look as old as possible and I think we pulled it off. After spraying several layers of browns, black, green and some white, the truck was sanded to to get a good mix and a good blend of “old”. Once the look was achieved we sprayed a flat clear over the truck to keep it that way. If you look closely to the right door, you can see an old logo in the paint. This was not our normal paint job, but it was very fun to do and looks amazing.
I’m coming home
This Chevelle is approaching the end of the line. We have been working all week on the finishing touches and fine tuning some things. Tomorrow the windshield and back glass go in and all that will really leave is a final buff and polish. We will put the grand finale pictures up when we finish up. We hope this car will be at the Reidsville car show and Fall Festival on October the 11th. Come on out, its fun for the whole family.