Monthly Archives: April 2015
We took a little time this afternoon to check out the work that will be needed on the Karmann Ghia. As with most old cars, when you start really inspecting areas you find things that were previously repaired or hidden over the years. I dont think this Karmann Ghia is in bad shape, but we did find some extensive rust in the inner rockers and sub-par repair on the left fender. We plan on going over this one more tomorrow to see if we can find all the little surprises that may be in store for us.
Bring on the shine
We were able to get the Civic in the booth today. We sanded it yesterday before leaving so this morning it was ready to go into the booth first thing.We carefully masked off the areas that we didnt want to paint, then Paul sprayed sealer over the repaired areas followed by 3 coats of silver base coat. Once that was dry, 2 coats of PPG clear coat was sprayed to provide the shine and protect the base coat.Tomorrow we will reassemble the door and re-install the rear bumper. This one should be going home tomorrow.
Custom Mustang paint
We were also able to squeeze in some time today to get some parts painted on the Mustang. This car already had the black racing stripes, but the owner wanted to add the 1/4″ pin stripes as well as other custom painted stripes.You can see Chris. the master stripe taper in the booth today doing his thing. We have the body all sanded and prepped up for paint. We hope to get it in the booth and painted by the end of the week.
Karmann Ghia restoration
This Civic is in the shop this week to get a battle scar repaired. We had to break out the stud gun to pull out the dents close to where the metal was supposed to be to minimize the amount of body filler. A stud was welded to the panel with a special gun. A slide hammer grabs the studs and is used to pull the dents back out. We will be continuing the repair on this one tomorrow. Thursday, this will take its turn in the booth for paint.
Scratch and dent repair
This Buick is in the shop to get a little road rash and a small dent fixed in the left quarter. We didnt get pictures of the rash and dent, but I did remember once it was in the booth. Chris fixed up the rash and dents this morning and Paul took over getting it masked off and sprayed this afternoon. We hope to get it put back together in the morning, cleaned up and delivered back to the owner tomorrow afternoon.
Slick sand again.
The hood on the ’52 received a few coats of slick sand today. We have been working on the body work on this hood for the past few weeks. This truck has been used as a truck over its life and it has the battle scars to prove it. We got the body work really close and decided to put on a few coats of the super high build primer to get a few more layers to block out. If that turns out well, we will prime it once more with PPG’s urethane primer. That will then be blocked again and before its painted. Good to see this one moving along again.