Monthly Archives: June 2015
Today was very productive. We spent all morning sanding the cab to smooth up the metal so the epoxy would have a nice surface to bite to. After all the panels were sanded, special attention was paid to all the little nooks and crannies, and believe me, there were hundreds of them. After lunch, the cab was moved into the booth and was wiped down many times to ensure a good clean surface. We sprayed epoxy on the bottom of the cab first, then carefully set it down to spray the rest once it had set up some. Paul did a wonderful job getting primer in all the hidden and hard to reach areas. If any are found tomorrow, we will brush them in for coverage. Tomorrow we will also seam seal all of the cracks and crevasses that may hold water. Once that is dry, we will apply 3 good coats of slick sand high build primer and also spray the Raptor liner in the floor and bottom of the cab.
Today we were able to spend some time sanding on the cab to the ’52 Ford. Just like all bare metal projects, we started with 80 grit on a dual action sander. This smooths the metal and preps it for the epoxy primer that comes next. We got the outside pretty good, but sill have the inside to sand. We hope to get that done tomorrow. If it all works out, the bottom of the cab and the inside of the floor will have epoxy and our Raptor liner spray in bed liner sprayed on them by the end of the week.
Buff and polish
Here you can see what a few hours of wet sanding and buffing can do. We started out by sanding the doors of the ’52 with 1000 grit sand paper. Once we were happy with the smoothness of the clear with that, we switched to 2000 grit sand paper, then finally 3000. The 3000 grit paper makes the buffing stages go quite a bit quicker. Once we were finished with the sanding Paul took over the buffing stages from here on out. He started with a heavy cutting compound, the switched to a light cut before finally going over it with a polishing compound. As you can see, they came out nice and slick.
Another paint day
It was a good day in the booth today. We finally sprayed some red on the ole’ 52 Ford. We spent some time this morning doing a final prep on them and started spraying just before lunch. After a coat of urethane sealer, 3 coats of red were carefully sprayed. Once that was dry, 3 coats of PPG high solids clear was sprayed. Once these are good and dry, we will wet sand them to an ultra smooth surface then buff them back out to have a knock your eyeballs out shine.
Down, but not out
Back on it
We worked on the ’52 Ford truck last Friday and today. We have the doors and hood all ready for paint now. Today we blocked out the top side of the hood and prepped the bottom side for paint as well. Tomorrow we will do the same to the doors and hopefully get a little RED sprayed on them as well. Our plan is to get the doors and hood trimmed out so we can paint the top sides of them on Wednesday.
We have had this Challenger in the shop for a while to make repairs from a pretty major accident. We switched out all the suspension on the right front and we had the engine cradle replaced at Automotive Service shop. Dick Shirley provided the measuring and frame pulling for us. All of the front bumper parts will be replaced. New fender, right door, right rocker rounds out the damage. The owner requested a few little custom touches. with painting the hood black being one of them. We were already going to have to paint it, so painting it black was no big deal. Instead of just plain black, we opted to jazz it up a little more by making it a black metallic. It really looks good and should make this Challenger stand out from the crowd. We are waiting on a few parts for the front bumper that are on back order. When we get those in, I will post a picture of the finished product.