Monthly Archives: March 2017

Its dashing

DSCF0013DSCF0014DSCF0015DSCF0003DSCF0004DSCF0007DSCF0009Today we installed the upper dash pad that we rejuvenated this week and the new lower one. The freshly painted defrost vents look really nice against the dash pad.  We also had to black out the area around the vents to give a more finished and cleaner look. The hands free microphone looks right at home beside the gas gauge. We also buttoned up a couple things with the wiring and installed the new throw out bearing. We have a quite a few parts on order that should get us really close to finishing this project up. We can’t install the engine until these parts come in, but I did get notification that they have been shipped and are on the way. Im looking forward to getting the engine back in and bringing this Ghia back to life.

Advertisements

The heartbeats back

DSCF9997DSCF9998DSCF0001DSCF0002Today we rejuvenated the original dash pad for the Ghia. I really wish I had thought to get a before picture. The transformation was really impressive.  I used a product from a company call CarWorx. This product is supposed to last for years. We started by thoroughly cleaning the pad with a degreaser. We then went back over that with a milder soap. Once it was dry, we applied the CarWorx per the instructions. I couldn’t believe it! It really looks brand new. Now for the engine. A complete tune up was done consisting of points, condenser, distributer cap, rotor button, plugs and wires. The valves were adjusted and the oil was changed. A new header and clutch and pressure plate rounded out the engine work. While all that was being done, we painted the engine tins to clean things up a bit. The new header will allow for a little performance upgrade while offering a slightly deeper sound over the stock muffler. After all this work was done, it was test run to be sure it all worked like it was supposed to and now its ready to go back into the car.

FJ Cruiser

DSCF9987DSCF9991DSCF9989DSCF9988The FJ has been getting a little work on here this week. We fixed quite a few dents and finished out some panel body work. We were able to get some primer on here to protect what we have been working on. We did find a  couple of places that need a little more attention after getting primer on here. Nothing really major, but we will take care of it before the final prime. This sure will be a cool vehicle when its done.

Getting there

DSCF9995DSCF9994DSCF9992DSCF9996DSCF9993We had a pretty prosperous day on the Ghia today. We were able to get the wiring pretty well wrapped up. The back up lights were wired up today and the switch tested. Its about the only electrical part that hasn’t been replaced so we tested it to be sure its working properly. Sure enough its working so the back up lights should be fine. We still need a few parts so we moved on to putting the doors on. It took 3 people to make sure they went on without any bumps or bruises but we were able to get them on just fine. They lined up pretty well. Once all the door rubber is installed we may have to tweak a few things but so far so good. The switches have been mounted and looking good in the dash. That lowered stance really looks good on these VW’s. We hope to get the engine back next week from getting a tune up and new exhaust. If we do, we should be able to hook the battery up and start testing all of the circuits. We have gotten many compliments on the color. The owner had a great vision on that. Stay tuned.

Get the lights

DSCF9981DSCF9983DSCF9986DSCF9980I was able to do a little more wiring today on the Ghia. We installed the early front turn signals for a much cleaner look than the big bulky original ones for this ’71. We also installed new headlight buckets. The old ones were in really bad shape, rusty with broken adjusters and springs just wasnt worth trying to fix them. I also snapped a shot of the wiring thus far. We are still waiting on an emergency flasher unit and a headlight relay so we can finish up the spaghetti system. The new voltage regulator came in today so we wired that up too while we were at it. Its been a long road but this Ghia has come a long way and is looking really nice.

FJ

DSCF9971DSCF9973DSCF9972Getting a little work done here on the FJ today. The wheel arch was pretty rusty when we started this restoration but now all that has been replaced with new metal. Here you can see the body work going back into that to make sure the finished product looks smooth and straight. We will continue to work our way around the FJ getting each panel ready for paint. Stay tuned. This one will be pretty cool.

Assembly time

dscf9943dscf9957dscf9961dscf9958As you can see, we have been able to devote some time to the Ghia this week. All of the sound deadener is in and the steering column was  painted and installed. We also painted and installed the e-brake handle and cleaned up the heater controls. The stock gauges were polished up and installed and awaiting the rest of the harness. We have a ton of parts on order, they should be here next week. Once we have those, this will start shaping up pretty quickly.

%d bloggers like this: