Daily Archives: August 31, 2017

The end is near

DSCF0465DSCF0466DSCF0467DSCF0442DSCF0440DSCF0441DSCF0443DSCF0444DSCF0448DSCF0449DSCF0450DSCF0456DSCF0457DSCF0458DSCF0459DSCF0462DSCF0463DSCF0464DSCF0461DSCF0479DSCF0480DSCF0484DSCF0485Its been a long time coming, but the FJ is really starting to take shape. The left rear door has given us a little bit of trouble so we decided to just remove that part from the equation. The lower part of the door had been patched a couple of times and they were not really getting along so we cut out the whole section and replaced it. The body work portion of that repair is almost complete and should be in primer tomorrow.  The paint work on the body is now complete as well. We shot some color on this on Tuesday and it really looks nice. A coat of sealer was applied to create a uniform ground coat for the color. We started with the white masking it off for the Freeborn red once it was dry enough to tape on. We then unmasked the white and applied the PPG urethane clear coat. This thing really stands tall now. Today we installed the head lights, left rear side marker and tail lights, new body to door gaskets, stripped the grill and bumpers. The bumpers have served their purpose.  Lots of dents and body work were hiding under several layers of paint. All that was removed today and bodywork will start on them tomorrow. We will paint the doors, grill, head light doors, side vents and bumpers next week if all goes well.

Good in the hood

DSCF0471DSCF0470DSCF0469DSCF0473DSCF0474DSCF0475DSCF0476Busy week here at the shop. We were able to get quite a bit of body work done on the ’57 parts. The hood, as you can see has been primed and the trunk is getting really close. The hood has braces that go underneath and these braces cause lines to form in the panels over time or I guess its possible they have been there since it was new. I dont know for sure, I wasnt around just yet. Anyway, wanting to make sure the panels were as straight as possible we decided to make those lines go away. Once the hood was nice and straight, Paul took back over the project for the priming. A coat of PPG epoxy primer was sprayed over the entire hood again followed by several coats of urethane primer. We will be blocking that out again and priming it once more to be sure we have the flattest, straightest metal possible. We have a couple more hours worth of work on the deck lid which kinda had the same issue as the hood. We hope to have it in primer tomorrow.DSCF0455

%d bloggers like this: