Category Archives: 1952 Ford Truck
Assembly day here at the shop on the ’52. Kelly Murphy brought the frame by this morning to start assembling the body panels. We started with the cab. New cab mounts and bushing were installed followed by the cab. We then moved to the inner fenders and radiator support. Once those were in the fenders were installed. Then the header panel and lower valence. Moving to the back, the bedsides were bolted in along with the head board then the rear fenders. This is where we stopped. Kelly will be taking the truck back to his place to finish up the plumbing, wiring, and all other finial assembly related operations. The hood and doors were left off to allow for more access and ease of assembly. Once he is ready for these parts we will get the to him for the final touches. After a good long while in fabrication and paint, this truck is turning out to be a real head turner. Especially in this bright red.
More progress on code red today. The running boards, lower dash and a fender extension were all painted today. While Paul was spraying these, Chris and I was sanding the fenders and cab in preparation for buffing. We started off by sanding the parts with 1000 grit to remove the slight peel. This is where the looks like glass comes from. After the we sand with 1000, we switch to 2000 and sand it by hand again. Once that was completed we sand it a third time with 3000 grit but on a DA sander. This process makes buffing a little easier and really makes for a nice finished product. We will start buffing these out tomorrow and should get it done and all cleaned and polished up.
Here we are prepping what think will be the last batch of truck parts to be painted. There are about 8 or 10 items left to be sprayed. We hope to get them all done tomorrow so we can spend several days next week putting the final buff on the larger items. Once that is complete, the frame comes here for the assembly of the body panels. This thing will then start looking like a truck again. I know the owner will be very excited to see that happen. Here we are sanding the running boards and the custom lower dash extension that will hold the A/C vents. Lots of progress on the old hot rod truck this week.
Ahhh, Much better. We spent today in the booth spraying the cab on the ’52 Ford. After thoroughly cleaning the cab and masking off the floor and back wall, Paul sprayed a coat of urethane sealer over the entire cab. Once that had time to dry, 3 coats of red was sprayed allowing proper drying time in between. After the base coat was applied, 3 coats of PPG high solids clear was sprayed. This gives us enough material to wet sand and buff to a super smooth, ultra high gloss. We will plan on buffing it out next week. We want to give the clear plenty of time to dry so the sanding and buffing will be a little easier. We still have a few other parts to paint, and plan on doing them later this week.
For the past few days, we have been working on the cab to the ’52 Ford. We have the body work pretty well wrapped up. Here you can see we slid it into the booth for primer. We masked off the dash, we will use a different primer on that area later this week. Once this primer is set up and dried, we will block it out and re-prime the whole cab with our finishing primer. Once that happens, the next step is more RED paint.
Great progress on the cab to the ’52 this week, The outside body is complete, as well as the left door jamb. Tomorrow we hope to get the right jamb and dash squared away. There has been a panel welded in the center of the dash that needs to finished off as well as a couple of holes that were welded up that are no longer needed. Once those are smooth this cab will get another coat of primer before beautiful red paint gets sprayed on it. This will definitely be a head turner!!
We have been having some computer issues over the past week, so I haven’t been posting our work as often as normal. We did work on the the ’52 cab some last week and today as well. The body work is moving along nicely. The outside is pretty close, maybe another day or so, and then a few hours on the dash, and this one is ready for more primer. Here you can see Chris working the firewall. Paul and I worked the back of the cab while Rick worked the left fender mounting panel. A good amount accomplished today.