Category Archives: 1957 Bel-Air
The body work on the ’57 is now complete! After a solid week of bodywork, blocking, sanding and priming, the body is now ready for its final sanding. If the finial blocking comes out nice, the body will be ready for paint. This will really only leave a few trim parts and some interior parts that need painting. The straightening of these panels actually went very smoothly. Jordan and Cole get all the credit for that hard work. These guys worked really hard getting the body nice. Paul, then took his turn masking it off and spraying a few coats of high solids primer on here, twice. Its a dirty job and hard work, but the rewards worth every bit of it.
We have been prepping these parts for the past few days. We started by blocking them then going back over them with a soft pad on a DA. We then sanded the nooks and crannies to make sure out pant sticks in all the right places. Today was a pretty good for progress. We were able to get the insides of the hood and fenders painted and they turned out great! Tomorrow we will flip these parts over sand over the outside again to smooth them up one final time and lay down some slick paint on them.
Last week we pulled out a few parts for the ’57 Bel-Air and prepped them for paint. Paul blocked out the trunk and the doors to ensure they were straight and smooth. We then sanded these parts all on the inside for trim out. Once the were all sanded up, we cleaned them meticulously to ensure a clean paint job. We then sprayed a coat of urethane sealer on the parts to provide uniform color and increase adhesion of the base color coats. 3 coats of Tropical Turquoise was then sprayed once the sealer was dry followed by 3 coats of high solids PPG clear coat. These parts really turned out nice. Its a great sneak peak of what the car will look like. The finished product is going to be very impressive.
The progress is coming along. Here you can see we have the hood, doors and trunk ready for epoxy primer and filler. First thing we did after sanding them all down inside and out, was get a couple of coats of epoxy primer on these parts. All parts were sanded inside and once that was dry, we started doing the body work. We did find that this car has had a bump up or two. The door on the right side has a pretty good size dent in it as well as a rust repair where a patch panel was installed. It would be neat to hear the stories this car could tell. Next week the body work will continue and hopefully we can get these parts in primer.
Here we have the fenders finished up and ready for paint. Jordan spent a few hours of the past couple of weeks working on these fenders and while he was working on the FJ, I got a chance to finish them up. As you can see they are in great shape and just needed a little body work to make the straight. Once I fine tuned where Jordan left off, we wiped them down several times and set them up in the booth. We sprayed a full coat of PPG DPLV then followed that up with PPG’s urethane primer. 4 coats later and a little dry time and they are straight and ready for the final blocking before getting painted.
We have been plugging right along on the ’57 in between the FJ and the collision work this week. Paul painted a whole slew of brackets and the radiator support. Jordan was busy disassembling the dash, tagging and bagging all of the parts that go behind it. For an old car, this thing is really pretty complicated. Lots of time was taken to make sure nothing gets broken, bent or lost. I believe that we have done a pretty decent job with that but it does take extra time. Hopefully all the documentation will make it somewhat easier when it comes time to put it all back together. There are cables, brackets, wires, levers, pulleys and all sorts of other things behind that dash. I did some finishing work on the fenders that Jordan started on last week. Those should be ready for the first round of primer next week.
We have been keeping the progress moving on the ’57 over the past week. We have got a good jump on the body work for the fenders as well as painting the fresh air tubes. These parts were sprayed with epoxy a couple of weeks ago and have been sanded back down, sealed and sprayed with an egg shell urethane paint. These parts are now ready to be stored until they go back on the car. The fenders have a few dents from over the years that have to be repaired before paint. Here you can see that has begun. We will continue to work the fenders until all the dents are out. Once that is achieved, the will be primed again with a urethane primer. We may do this several times to be sure we are able to block out any waves or slight imperfections in the metal. This will ensure a completely flat, straight panel for the best possible paint job.
Yesterday Jordan spent a good portion of the day breaking down the doors. Today, he has been at it pretty steady all day. The doors are both completely apart and removed, the trunk is off and apart, the hood moldings have been removed as well, as a few more interior molding parts. The time consuming part of all this is bagging and tagging all of the parts and their bolts to make reassembly much easier. And buddy I’ll tell ya, their are a lot little parts. We have tubs that we use to store parts in so that things remain in one spot for safe keeping. Inside the tubs are bags with screws, bolts and clips labeled where they came from as well as the tons of bright work from the same panels. Hopefully tomorrow these newly disassembled parts will be going to the blaster.