Category Archives: 1978 FJ Cruiser

Cruiser

DSCF0368DSCF0364DSCF0363DSCF0362DSCF0361DSCF0367DSCF0366DSCF0365DSCF0373DSCF0372DSCF0371DSCF0370DSCF0369 As progress continues on the FJ, today was paint day for a few body parts. Since we had few pieces ready for paint and an empty booth, we decided this morning we would put a few parts in there from the FJ and get them sprayed. We prepped them, sealed them, followed that with he correct Freeborn red and white paint colors then cleared them. Its been a long time coming but it sure is nice to finally see some color going on this cool vehicle. Next week we should be able to get the hood painted and a couple of other parts if things go smoothly. We are still fine tuning the body, its not too far from getting color either.

Finally getting primed

DSCF0333DSCF0315DSCF0316DSCF0313DSCF0314DSCF0322DSCF0323DSCF0324DSCF0346DSCF0345DSCF0340We have been steadily plugging along on the FJ over the past couple of weeks and here is where we stand on it. The rain gutters have been stripped and cleaned out. A nice coat of epoxy was applied to the gutters followed by a flowable seam sealer. They really look nice and smooth now. Jordan also worked pretty diligently on sanding the nooks and crannies. It seemed like every time it was ready for primer another spot was found that needed attention. Cole prepped the under side and the top side of the hood today and with a little luck, we may start spraying some parts next week. We do have the body ready for primer now and It will go into the booth first thing Monday morning.

Its a block party

DSCF0264DSCF0265DSCF0266DSCF0304DSCF0305This week we started blocking out the doors on the FJ. While working on one of the doors we found a previous rust repair that was in need of attention so we are in the process of getting that fixed up. In the mean time, Paul and Cole dedicated some time to getting the body a little closer to priming. We pulled the old seam sealer out of the drip rails where it had gotten bad over the years and was letting water seep down to the metal. We will treat all those areas and apply new seam sealer before priming. Its doesnt really improve the looks of the job, but it will hopefully extend the life of the drip rails. Thats what Cole is doing in the picture with drill. A wire brush on a drill works really well at that when good old fashioned elbow grease is used. So, finding these things did set us back from priming today but hopefully next week will go smoother.

Priming the doors

DSCF0245DSCF0246DSCF0247DSCF0248DSCF0243DSCF0242Last week the guys put the finishing touches on the doors to the FJ. The bodywork is all wrapped up on them and Paul has sprayed the last few coats on primer on them before the final blocking for paint. We hope to be getting the body in its final primer this week which should wrap up the body work on the FJ. It will then be turned over the paint shop for its prep for paint.

Its a block party

DSCF9541DSCF9542DSCF9543We have been having a block party here at the shop this week. We sent this FJ out to have some extensive metal work. New cab mounts, rockers, rear wheel arches and various other patches here and there. Most of those parts are not made anymore and not available from the aftermarket so they had to be fabricated. We started blocking some of the body work out on the lower parts of the FJ. This was done to show us the high and low spots that we will need to fill. Next Cole spent a bit of time sanding the rest of the panels to show other places that will need attention. Stay tuned this FJ Cruiser will be an awesome project.

FJ’s Back

DSCF9457DSCF9455The FJ is back from the metal shop.  After a good long while at the metal shop it is finally structurally sound. This FJ 55 had new rockers, new cab mounts, new patches for the fenders, doors and quarters as well as rear fender well openings replaced while it was away. There was also some rust in the hood repaired as well as in between the upper and lower fender. Most of those parts had to be fabricated but the rockers were available new. Another thing that made this job a little more difficult was that some of these areas that were patched up, had been patched up before. So in most cases on this particular job, all of the old panel was removed to allow for just one patch instead of a patch inside of a patch. This just makes for a nicer job. Now it is our turn to get this awesome piece of Toyota history looking nice again. These things are virtually unstoppable. Our plan is to make it look good while doing it.

%d bloggers like this: