Category Archives: High Performance Finishes
Each of these cars, trucks and motorcycles received our best, highest gloss, finish … the High Performance Finish.
Today we installed the upper dash pad that we rejuvenated this week and the new lower one. The freshly painted defrost vents look really nice against the dash pad. We also had to black out the area around the vents to give a more finished and cleaner look. The hands free microphone looks right at home beside the gas gauge. We also buttoned up a couple things with the wiring and installed the new throw out bearing. We have a quite a few parts on order that should get us really close to finishing this project up. We can’t install the engine until these parts come in, but I did get notification that they have been shipped and are on the way. Im looking forward to getting the engine back in and bringing this Ghia back to life.
Today was a big day! We painted the Ghia today and as you can see, it turned out very nice. We started this morning by masking off the floors, transmission, headliner and behind the area behind the gauges. We do this to both to keep paint off of these areas but also to keep any dirt out of the paint that may be hiding in there. Because the car is now lowered, we had to remove the wheels to and get the car up on stands to make access to the lower front end and the rockers a bit easier to paint. Once the car was wiped down and ready to spray, we applied a coat of sealer and after that was dry, we sprayed several coats of color followed by 3 coats of clear. Because we couldn’t fit the hood and deck lid in the booth with the rest of the car and doors, we must paint those next week. Once that is done we will start the re-assembly. The color on this car is very classy looking, Its going to look great all back together.
We had sent this FJ out to get some mechanical issues addressed while our work load here at the shop was up. We did get it back last week and today we were able to devote some time to it getting this project started back up. What Cole is working on here is repairing where the lower rocker panels were welded in. We removed the rear doors and used a grinder to smooth up the welds. We then applied a coat of metal filler to smooth up the welds. Once that product was dry, it was sanded smooth. He then went over those areas as well as a couple of other places in the jambs to make sure they all look smooth. Once these areas a taken care of we will do the same to the seams where the front doors are before priming the new rockers.
I know. We have been gone for a while. We have been slammed with work over the past 8 weeks or so and its been a quite a few late nights and here at the shop and writing posts just hasn’t been top priority. We did find a couple of guys to work part time hours for us and are really thankful for them. They have helped us out tremendously. We reached a pretty big milestone with the Ghia this week. As you can see its back on all fours. But lets back up a bit to see what all as been done. We ordered a narrowed and adjustable front beam for this Ghia. The owner wanted it to sit lower than factory and an adjustable beam is the best way to get it there. The reason its narrowed too is because when you lower them, the tires sometimes rub on the fender wells. You narrow it to move the wheels in some to allow for some clearance there. This also opens up more options for different wheels and tires if she desires. We also replaced the tie rods, tie rod ends, new leaf springs, new steering damper, sway bar and master cylinder. We also installed the newly rebuilt pedal assembly along with a new clutch cable and throttle cable. While we were at it, we also replaced the heater box cables. On the dash, we did away with a few holes that will be no longer needed and added one for the Bluetooth microphone. We also had to clean up the radio hole a bit. It was cut a little too large the first time, so we added some metal and reshaped it for a nice fit. While working on the dash we also added a lighted accessory plug to charge cell phones or plug in a GPS. A new pan gasket between the body and pan is held into place with all new body bolts. Our agenda holds this car getting primer on Friday or at least by the first of the week if Murphy shows up with that law of his.
Work continues on the Ghia. Today we all spent some time massaging the body and doors. The quarters are getting close to being ready for primer. Paul worked on the doors. He went over them making sure the body work was complete then started sanding the jambs to prep them for primer. Cole worked some magic on the right fender and the right door jamb.
Here are the pictures of the Porsche with the clear coat. Next week we will get this one back together and back to the customer.
This is the results of the Freshen up post from yesterday. The paint job turned out very nice. Now with a base coat clear coat finish, the owner will not have that dry, chalky, dull paint anymore. We even did a headlight restoration on this one to make it safer at night and help with the appearance. We did get most of this one put back together today and should finish up the reassembly tomorrow.
This Camry is in the shop to get a freshened up paint job. The finish on the white cars sometimes dies and looses its luster. Well, we are here to bring it back to life. We started by removing the door handles, mirrors and bumpers. We painted the bumpers yesterday and the body today. We did get the clear coat applied today but you will have to wait until tomorrow to see the results. We also hope to get the bumpers back together and back on tomorrow. With a little luck the owner will be back in her newly painted Camry by the weekend.