Category Archives: 1967 Chevrolet Camaro
Almost a wrap
Phew! This week has been a whirlwind. We have been pretty busy these past couple of weeks and it looks like it will continue for a couple more. We have been working on the Camaro though some in between wrecks. The glass is all in now. Vapor barriers are made for the door panels and the exhaust on. We are still waiting on a few detail pieces before we can put the door panels on, but once that happens, this one will be a wrap. Since it was nice today, we put it out side for some fresh air. While it was out there I grabbed these shots of it. You can also see Chris cutting out the vapor barriers and close up of the newly installed door mirror and vent window.
Clearly, the glass is in
We have been working on the Camaro over the past few days. We started by building the vent widows and painting the guide channels. Then the vents were installed, then the regulators in the doors. Then we did the quarter glasses. So far so good. We do have an issue with the left quarter glass. Its a bit sloppy. I think we are going to have to change out the old rollers. Its just not as smooth as should be. We still have to fine tune the adjustment on the glass, this can be the tedious part. Friday it goes to Alamance Muffler to get the exhaust installed.
While I was painting the Versa, Chris was working hard on the Camaro. He did get the combination figured out on putting the vent windows back together as well as how to put the back quarter glasses back in. You see, when you are not the person who took things apart, its really hard to figure out how they go back together. But as usual Chris gets things figured out. His patience really pays off on things like this.
Now we’re cooking
We are still plugging along on the Camaro. Lots getting done here its just not worthy of pictures. Its hard to take pictures of brake fluid in the lines. But that’s whats been going on. The brakes are done, new calipers, shoes and such. All circuits are tested and working. It wont be long now at all before this one is started for the first time and we wrap things up here.
Fire up the grill
Most of the day was spent working on the Camaro again today. We are so close to doing an electrical check that I thought we would just keep moving this one along until we get that done. The left head light tried our patients a bit today. It didnt want to fit the hole or line up with the grill too well. So after giving it a stern talking to we worked it all out. We even installed the upper header panel and aligned the hod up today. Once the harness for the hide away headlights comes in, we will have the wiring pretty well buttoned up. Glass and a few other little knick knacks and this one will be ready for a few final mechanical touches.
We put in good time today on the Camaro. The hood is on, lower front valance and turn signals. In putting all this together today we found that the radiator was a just about a 1/4″ too high. The hood was just barely hitting the radiator cap, resulting the hood not fully closing. We got that all straightened out though. We also had to sand blast and paint the turn signal brackets. Just because they aren’t seen, doesn’t mean we don’t make sure they don’t look good. We have a couple of parts coming in next week so we will be able to button up the front end of this one.
Today we put the head light buckets on the Camaro and wired them up. This Camaro has hide away head lights. This means that during the day, or when the lights are off, the bulbs are hidden behind covers that look like the grill. When you turn the lights on, a motor power opens the the doors and the lights come on. These pictures were taken early in during the install process. We still had to remove the left fender to attach the fender emblems, so they alignment is fine tuned on the left fender in this picture. We did in fact get those emblems on today and the fender back on and the light assembly in and properly aligned. You can see we also installed the bracket that holds all of the relays and the circuit breaker that are used to power the hide away lights. The American Auto wire kit did not come with the extension to power these so I ordered one today. We should have that in next week.
Let their be light
Today we pulled out the hide away headlight brackets. Chris disassembled them and sand blasted them. After they were all stripped and all cleaned up, Chase did the magic in the booth. First of all a coat of epoxy primer was sprayed, followed by a couple of coats of egg shell black. They cleaned up very nice. While the guys was doing this, I was busy with the wiring of the headlights and of the turn signals. Maybe we will have some pictures of that tomorrow.
Keep on keeping on
We worked on the Camaro some today to keep things moving along. We put the gauges together last week. Today we installed them into the new bezel housing and also installed the new clear lenses. Chris installed the dash pad as well. Late this afternoon, we started putting the inner fender in to check to make sure that the hoses for the A/C system didn’t interfere with it. While we were at it, we also grabbed the right fender and the next thing we knew, the fender was on the car. We have to tidy up a few wires and hoses and we will be ready to install the headlights and grill.