Category Archives: 1967 Chevrolet Camaro
Today we put the the gauges together. Chris cleaned up the metal housing yesterday in the sand blaster, then prepped it for paint by sanding it then spaying a coat of epoxy primer followed by bright white. The white will reflect the light from the bulbs which will make the gauges glow better at night. A new speedo and tach were installed followed by the new circuit board. This dash will be standing tall.
Back on the Camaro, we installed the radiator and cooling fans today. Not really all that exciting but we did get them wired up and the relays installed. Just to be sure they will work properly, we also hooked a battery up to them to make sure they were working properly. They were. Thank you, thank you very much!
The Camaro saw some action today. We plumbed the condenser and ran all the hoses for the A/C and heater on the engine side. We also were able to get the door installed on the driver side and the fender and fender well installed. The fender is on but we will have to fine tune the alignment more tomorrow. Its going to look more and more like a car over the next few days.
Today was a good day. We installed the steering column and had some good progress on mounting the Vintage air box. We have to run one more A/C line before we can button that up, but we are pretty close. We also wire the plugs for the gauges, and the turn signal switch. You can see the wiper switch has also been installed. When you get to this stage of the build things appear to slow down. Wiring is a bit time consuming as well as determining the routing of the A/C lines and heater hoses. The only thing you can do is just keep plugging along. Take it one step at a time and don’t rush.
Sorry for the lack of posts these past few days. I have been taking pictures, but have not had time to write. Sometimes life gets in the way. So, here is an updated on the Camaro. We have been wiring the inside and the engine over the past few days. All the wires for the console and the gauges in there are wired as well as the starter, distributor, wiper motor, alternator, oil pressure and temperature sending units are all done. While I was doing the wiring Chris and Chase installed the A/C compressor and the radiator support. We will start installing the fenders and doors soon. This will then allow us to run the wires for the head lights and turn signals. We will continue to keep plugging along on this project. Its on the downhill stretch now. The owners will riding in style in no time.
Lots going on today on the Camaro. Wiring, Fat Mat sound deadening material, and the engine and transmission getting installed today. While I was wiring the rear of the car, Chris started installing the Fat Mat. This product turns a hollow tin can sound into a super quiet thud when the doors are shut. We put this product everywhere we could. The roof, floors, rear package tray, inside firewall, even on the inside and underside of the dash. Even with a big block this car should be quiet as a mouse inside. When the doors close, the sound will resemble a new car.
I have all the wiring done on the back of the car now. Tail lights, back up lights, fuel gauge wire were all buttoned up today.
The controls for the heat and A/C have to be converted over to electronic to work with the Vintage air system. I had to completely disassemble the original controls. Then I cleaned it up and painted the arms that the knobs go on.
Somewhere in the middle of all this work, the owner came by with a truck load of goodies, including the engine. Here you see Chase muscling the big block 396 ci motor into place.
Here you see the electronic slides that control the Vintage air unit. Wires will connect to these and plug into the unit. Once I got it all back together, every moving part was lubed for smooth operation.
We started wiring the Camaro today. Not really getting heavy into it right now, just laying it all out to see how things are going to lay out and doing what we can to keep the project moving. We still have to install the steering column pedals, engine and transmission before we really get rolling on it. We should get that stuff done this week.
Phew, what a work out. Chris and I started blocking out the body on the Camaro this morning. We used our tried and true 3 step method of 1000 then 2000 then 3000 grit steps. Then we started the buffing process. I know my shoulders will feel it tomorrow. The pictures of the car wet but with dull paint is what the clear looks like after sanding it. The purpose of this step is to remove the orange peel. This is going the extra mile. This is what makes paint really shine and POP! You can see this in the picture of the two meat heads in the reflection. Now that this is done its time to start putting it all back together. From here on out, each step will be looking more and more like a car. We did put the bulk head in and installed the dash vents for the a/c. Next week we should have the doors, fenders, trunk, engine installed.