Blog Archives

Finally getting primed

DSCF0333DSCF0315DSCF0316DSCF0313DSCF0314DSCF0322DSCF0323DSCF0324DSCF0346DSCF0345DSCF0340We have been steadily plugging along on the FJ over the past couple of weeks and here is where we stand on it. The rain gutters have been stripped and cleaned out. A nice coat of epoxy was applied to the gutters followed by a flowable seam sealer. They really look nice and smooth now. Jordan also worked pretty diligently on sanding the nooks and crannies. It seemed like every time it was ready for primer another spot was found that needed attention. Cole prepped the under side and the top side of the hood today and with a little luck, we may start spraying some parts next week. We do have the body ready for primer now and It will go into the booth first thing Monday morning.

’57 Fenders

DSCF0335DSCF0336DSCF0337DSCF0338DSCF0339DSCF0343DSCF0344DSCF0349DSCF0350Here we have the fenders finished up and ready for paint. Jordan spent a few hours of the past couple of weeks working on these fenders and while he was working on the FJ, I got a chance to finish them up. As you can see they are in great shape and just needed a little body work to make the straight. Once I fine tuned where Jordan left off, we wiped them down several times and set them up in the booth. We sprayed a full coat of PPG DPLV then followed that up with PPG’s urethane primer. 4 coats later and a little dry time and they are straight and ready for the final blocking before getting painted.

Little body work, little painting

DSCF0233DSCF0238DSCF0232DSCF0230DSCF0249DSCF0250DSCF0244DSCF0251DSCF0252DSCF0253DSCF0254DSCF0255DSCF0256DSCF0257DSCF0258DSCF0259We have been keeping the progress moving on the ’57 over the past week. We have got a good jump on the body work for the fenders as well as painting the fresh air tubes.  These parts were sprayed with epoxy a couple of weeks ago and have been sanded back down, sealed and sprayed with an egg shell urethane paint. These parts are now ready to be stored until they go back on the car. The fenders have a few dents from over the years that have to be repaired before paint. Here you can see that has begun. We will continue to work the fenders until all the dents are out. Once that is achieved, the will be primed again with a urethane primer. We may do this several times to be sure we are able to block out any waves or slight imperfections in the metal. This will ensure a completely flat, straight panel for the best possible paint job.

Priming the doors

DSCF0245DSCF0246DSCF0247DSCF0248DSCF0243DSCF0242Last week the guys put the finishing touches on the doors to the FJ. The bodywork is all wrapped up on them and Paul has sprayed the last few coats on primer on them before the final blocking for paint. We hope to be getting the body in its final primer this week which should wrap up the body work on the FJ. It will then be turned over the paint shop for its prep for paint.

Another Ghia back on the road

DSCF0213DSCF0225DSCF0222DSCF0221DSCF0215DSCF0220DSCF0218DSCF0216DSCF0217DSCF0226DSCF0219DSCF0224Here we have the finished product!  After a good long while in the shop, this Ghia is headed home today. I know the owner is happy to have her car back. Im not sure what wheels are planned for this beauty, but I will post pictures of it when she gets them on.

And the beat goes on

dscf9673dscf9675dscf9676dscf9677dscf9678dscf9671Work continues on the Ghia. Today we all spent some time massaging the body and doors. The quarters are getting close to being ready for primer. Paul worked on the doors. He went over them making sure the body work was complete then started sanding the jambs to prep them for primer. Cole worked some magic on the right fender and the right door jamb.

Hold my keys

DSCF9401DSCF9402DSCF9403We have a Camaro that has been vandalized in the shop this week. Here you can see we have already sanded out the scratches and repaired the areas that needed it. We have it masked off and read for primer that will go in the morning. Sometimes there just isnt enough hours in the day.  Once we get primer on here and its dry enough to sand, we will block all these areas out and get it ready for paint on Friday.

Rammed

DSCF8829DSCF8828This Ram is in the shop to get its bedside repaired. The damage is the result of getting a little too close to one of those yellow poles that protect buildings or A/C units. We repaired the damage and primed the body work yesterday. This morning we blocked out the primer, sanded the rest of the panel then washed the truck.  Once dry, we slid it into the booth and Paul took over. The bedside was masked off and the rest of the truck was bagged to prevent overspray. Paul then applied a coat of sealer to the body work area followed by several coats of white color coats. Once dry, 2 coats of PPG clear coat was applied to provide the shine and protect the base coat. Tomorrow this one will be put back together and cleaned up for its owner.

Chevy on the mend

DSCF8702 DSCF8704And another jacked up Chevy truck is in the shop this week. This one is here to get a few bumps and bruises fixed up. As you can see there were a few dents in the right bedside and the left doors had mainly scratches. While Paul was working on the Camry parts, Chris was going at it getting this one ready. Door handles belt moldings, flares and bed cap were all removed today as well. Tomorrow we will block out the primer and remove the tail light and rear bumper to ensure we do a quality job. This one should take its turn in the paint booth on Wednesday.

Here a dent, there a dent

DSCF8485 DSCF8486 DSCF8484The ’86 has gotten some attention today. Paul worked a few hours on this today repairing a few dents in the body. For its age, this thing is in fabulous shape however there were a few dents in it from years of service that needed to be repaired. So here they are for your viewing pleasure

%d bloggers like this: