Here we have the fenders finished up and ready for paint. Jordan spent a few hours of the past couple of weeks working on these fenders and while he was working on the FJ, I got a chance to finish them up. As you can see they are in great shape and just needed a little body work to make the straight. Once I fine tuned where Jordan left off, we wiped them down several times and set them up in the booth. We sprayed a full coat of PPG DPLV then followed that up with PPG’s urethane primer. 4 coats later and a little dry time and they are straight and ready for the final blocking before getting painted.
We have been keeping the progress moving on the ’57 over the past week. We have got a good jump on the body work for the fenders as well as painting the fresh air tubes. These parts were sprayed with epoxy a couple of weeks ago and have been sanded back down, sealed and sprayed with an egg shell urethane paint. These parts are now ready to be stored until they go back on the car. The fenders have a few dents from over the years that have to be repaired before paint. Here you can see that has begun. We will continue to work the fenders until all the dents are out. Once that is achieved, the will be primed again with a urethane primer. We may do this several times to be sure we are able to block out any waves or slight imperfections in the metal. This will ensure a completely flat, straight panel for the best possible paint job.
Last week the guys put the finishing touches on the doors to the FJ. The bodywork is all wrapped up on them and Paul has sprayed the last few coats on primer on them before the final blocking for paint. We hope to be getting the body in its final primer this week which should wrap up the body work on the FJ. It will then be turned over the paint shop for its prep for paint.
Here we have the finished product! After a good long while in the shop, this Ghia is headed home today. I know the owner is happy to have her car back. Im not sure what wheels are planned for this beauty, but I will post pictures of it when she gets them on.
Work continues on the Ghia. Today we all spent some time massaging the body and doors. The quarters are getting close to being ready for primer. Paul worked on the doors. He went over them making sure the body work was complete then started sanding the jambs to prep them for primer. Cole worked some magic on the right fender and the right door jamb.
Back on the ’71 Ghia today. We spent a good portion of the afternoon blocking out some body panels and a little body work. If you remember this car was stripped, epoxy primed and slick sand was also applied. That is the grey product you see here. Its a very high building primer that allows us smooth out the waves and ripples to ensure a super straight end product. These panels were blocked with 80 grit on a long block. This showed us where the high and low spots were. These were repaired and the hood and trunk lid are straight and ready for their final prime. The roof was also blocked out but time ran out before we could finish up the body work. We still have some extensive rust repair to do on this car when the parts come in. We should be getting on those repairs in the next week or so.