After a few good days of prepping the floor and bottom of the cab we were finally able to spray it. The first couple of pictures show how not prepping panels properly turn out. The black peeling paint is actually POR 15. It was improperly applied so we removed it before applying our coatings over it. We started with a coat of PPG’s DPLV epoxy primer over the bare metal and properly prepared panels. We actually did that yesterday afternoon. This morning we came in applied SEM seam sealer to the seams and the weld areas where patches were installed. Once the seam sealer was dry, Jordan sprayed 2 coats of Raptor liner over the DP. This well provide a water proof barrier for the under side of this truck that will still look very nice. While we were at it, we also sprayed the inside of the bedsides that are exposed to the bottom of the truck. Up next, its time to start spraying some panels while we finish up the body work on the cab.
Still plugging away on the C-10. Last week we finished up the body work on the cab and applied a couple more coats of PPG’s high build epoxy. Because the body work was so extensive we will definitely block that out and prime it again to be sure we didnt miss anything. Today we started prepping bottom of the cab for bedliner. As you can see it was blasted giving us a good starting point. You can see there are new patches in the floors in the top corners. Those areas were a little thin and the cab mounts needed to be shored up some as well. While Jordan sanded the bottom, Paul got a great start on straightening out the rockers. We still have a bit of sanding to do on the floor and more work on the rockers but over the next couple of days we should be able to get the bottom of the cab sprayed with epoxy followed by a couple coats of Raptor liner.
After many hours of blocking a filling, the cab on the C-10 is pretty close to being straight. Yes, this one lived the life of a truck but glory days are in its future. With all the body work fairly close to being finished we will next turn our attention to the floor and bottom of the cab. Just like the rest of the underside on this truck it will get a bedliner both inside and out. We will then once more make sure the bodywork is complete before priming. Because of the extensive body work, we will most likely prime it twice to be sure its good to go.
We shot a few coats of primer on the ’55 hood and trunk today. As you can see they were in pretty good shape. We did have a few places that needed some attention but once they were straight and the booth was open, we slid them on in. These parts will be blocked one more time to be sure they are ready for paint. Its a long process but it really pays off in the end.
Great progress was made on the C-10 project today. Cole and I worked a good portion of the day blocking out the roof and fixing dents. We worked some on the inside of the cab as well as the left door jamb. The fire wall is pretty close to being finished as well. Tomorrow we plan on attacking it like we did today and hopefully that will put us pretty close to priming it again.
The progress continues on the C-10. We are working hard to make sure the body work on the cab is as nice as the rest of the panels we have ready to paint. The cab needs pretty extensive body work but each day we get a little closer.
Now that all of the sanding, buffing and polishing is complete, lets start putting this beauty back together. We like to start with the seals. Its much easier to install these while the parts are off and you can get around them. They also aid when lining up the panels. If you align the panels without the gaskets, you may have to adjust them again when you do install them. No since in doing it twice. We ordered our parts from Danchuk. These rubbers are very nice. They fit very well and come in bags labeled for where it goes. As you can see they look great as well. Goals for this week are to start hanging parts and getting them operational. That means the latches and mechanisms that make these parts functional will all be cleaned inspected and lubed up for installation. Stay tuned.
The body work on the ’55 is coming right along. We have been blocking the car out to find what needs to be straightened and what we can straighten with blocking and priming. This car has had some nice work done in the past but we will be fine tuning what they started. As you can see it does have several places that need attention and about that many more that we haven’t gotten to yet. Next week we should be able to start spraying some primer on these repairs. Once that happens another good blocking to make sure we didn’t miss anything then start prepping for paint.
This little beauty has been brought to us to finish up a long ago started restoration. Its a ’55 Chevy 2 door post car, one of my favorites. Tons of work has already been completed on the car a few goodies include rack and pinion steering, coil over shocks, big V8 and several other things. The owner wanted to dechrome the car so the first thing we did was weld up all of the molding holes. You may notice that we didnt have to weld up the ones in the quarters. Those panels have already been replace years ago and the new panels didnt have molding holes. Once the holes were welded up we started repairing the areas and blocking out the entire car just to see how the body looked. Not too bad. We do have some work to do but it should go along pretty smoothly. The car will be painted the green that you see here when its finished.
We have been working hard on the C-10, and it shows. We now have 4 more parts ready for paint. Cole and Jordan finished blocking these panels out today and Paul had just enough time to spray a few coats of urethane primer on them before quitting time. These panels will be blocked one final time to be certain they are nice and straight before painting.