This Camaro is almost ready to paint. We painted the roll bars last week and started getting the body ready for paint. Today we put the final sanding on the car as well as the final priming. We will only have to sand the new primer seen here before painting. The doors, hood and trunk are all ready for paint. We will get the doors trimmed out tomorrow
Here we have the almost finished up ’79 Beetle. We still have to give it a good cleaning and wipe down the inside. Believe it or not, but its sort of dusty around here. We also still have to get the factory sport wheels mounted. Other than that, its pretty much ready to roll.
This is the Camaro that we painted the roof and hood on earlier in the week. The customer purchased this 2001 Camaro brand new in ’01 and wanted to jazz it up a bit. This car has a bit of history to it. It was purchased the morning the planes hit the World Trade Center on 9/11. The owner told me that story when he dropped it off for the repairs. Because Chevrolet puts their paint codes in several locations around the car, instead of hunting it down I just called the local dealership to get the correct code. They have access to that information through the vehicle identification number. While I was on the phone waiting for them to pick up, I looked over the VIN when my jaw hit the floor. You see, the last 3 digits of the VIN were 911. It is a huge coincidence that it was bought on 9/11 and the VIN was 911 and then combining that with the significance of the whole day in American history made it kinda eerie, yet inspirational. The owner wanted racing stripes but not quite the conventional hugger stripes from the time period. So, this is what we came up with. The stripes are semi flat black with a 1/4″ pinstripe. They turned out very nice and something you dont see everyday.
This Camaro is in the shop to get a couple of old repairs done years ago freshened up. Normally, the roofs on these Camaros were black. Some people had theirs painted body color when the car was new to be different or, some people didnt like the black roofs. Either way, this was one of those cars. Over the years the clear broke down and the owner wanted to get it fixed. We also, while its here repaired and painted the hood. It had a few battle scars from years of use so while its here we took care of that too. Stay tuned tomorrow on this one. There may be a surprise.
Lots of work getting done this week on the Camaro. Starting first thing this morning we all jumped on the body to finish up the sanding. Once that was done, we cleaned the booth up to get as nice a job as possible. After the booth was clean, we tapped the car to keep overspray from getting all over places we dont want paint. Chase was able to get a good coat of sealer on before lunch which is the flat dark grey looking picture. After we got bellies full, Chase sprayed the blue base coat on the body. After 3 coats of color, Chase switched to clear and laid down 3 really nice coats of that. The body turned out great. Chase did a great job on the paint, and we all played a part in the body work which looks really nice too. While Chase was painting, Chris and I wet sanded the doors to achieve the High Performance Finish. Chris then buffed them up to a super high gloss. We still have to paint the semi gloss black on the dash and inside the doors, we hope to get that done this week too. But this was quite enough for one day.
While Chase was priming the parts for the Chevelle, Chris and I were prepping the Camaro parts for the racing stripes that will painted tomorrow. Chase also painted the trunk spoiler today so we can stripe that too. We have to sand these parts so that the paint for the stripes will stick as well as the clear. I will go more in depth on that tomorrow. Laying out these strips will be a bit time consuming. Much longer than the time it actually takes to paint them. It will all be worth it though, they will look awesome when they are finished. Much better than Chris does in that picture. Yeah, we have fun here.
Here we have the first batch of Camaro parts that were run through the booth for color. All three of us started this morning by blocking the fenders, doors, bottom of the trunk and the lower front valence. Once they were all blocked out we slid them into the booth and started prepping them for paint. We wiped the down with degreaser. This removes all contaminates that are on the panel. Next we blew them off with compressed air and tacked them with a tack cloth. The tack cloth removes fine dust and lent that land on them. Once thats done, its time for sealer. We seal 99% of what we paint here. It provides a uniform coating for the top coats to cover. It also fills all the small sanding scratches and improves adhesion. After the sealer sets up for it recommended flash time, Chase started spraying the color. 3 coats of color were applied to these parts. After the recommended flash time on the color coats, Chase laid down 3 very nice slick coats of high solids clear. After a few days of drying, the clear on the outside of these panels will get blocked again with 1000 grit paper, then 2000 grit paper then 3000 grit paper. This is where the “High Performance Finishes” part comes from. This is were the shine on these parts become a mile deep. Tomorrows plan will be to paint the outsides of the doors and trunk. Not bad for a days work. Not too bad.