Last week we pulled out a few parts for the ’57 Bel-Air and prepped them for paint. Paul blocked out the trunk and the doors to ensure they were straight and smooth. We then sanded these parts all on the inside for trim out. Once the were all sanded up, we cleaned them meticulously to ensure a clean paint job. We then sprayed a coat of urethane sealer on the parts to provide uniform color and increase adhesion of the base color coats. 3 coats of Tropical Turquoise was then sprayed once the sealer was dry followed by 3 coats of high solids PPG clear coat. These parts really turned out nice. Its a great sneak peak of what the car will look like. The finished product is going to be very impressive.
Here we have the finished product! The owner has it all back together now and on the the road. He’s got himself a real head turner now.
Yes, we are still here. We have been extremely busy these past few weeks. I have been taking a few pictures of whats been going on but just havent been able to post anything. A lot has been completed on the beetle since the last post. New pans are in, front beam support is in, new narrowed adjustable beam is in, new shocks master cylinder, all new brake lines, the body has been stripped and primed, pedal assembly has been stripped, painted and rebuilt and as you can see we have sprayed some Diamond Blue on the doors, trunk and deck lid. The body is currently at the metal fabricator getting its new heater channels in, new firewall and various other patch work done. We should be getting it back shortly and when we do we will jump on the body work to get it in final primer. As you can see things are moving. These old bugs are super cool and this one will turn out great.
We were just about to wrap up the FJ with a spray in bedliner on the floors in the front seat and rear seating area when we came across a previous repair on the passenger side floor. Someone had used “Great Stuff” an expanding foam insulation to fill in a rather large hole in the passenger side floor board. Not an ideal repair but Im pretty sure it was an inexpensive one. Anyway, we couldnt leave the not so great stuff in there so we dug it all out and replaced it with metal. Once it was all welded in Jordan and Cole got to work prepping the rest of the floor for the bed liner. We use a urethane product for things like this called Raptor liner. Its perfect for this application. It looks good, durable and water proof. We started with a coat of epoxy over the entire floor. Once dry, we applied 2 coats of the Raptor liner over the epoxy. This will dry over night and we will spend the rest of the week putting the finishing touches on this project.
This past Friday was another good progress day on the FJ, we were able to get the doors painted. We started off by masking off the freshly trimmed out backside then flipped them over and prepped the front. Paul started with coat of urethane sealer followed by 3 coats of the white. Once all that was dry, we carefully masked off the line for the red and papered up the white. Three coats of red was then sprayed on the lower parts of the doors. We then unmasked the white and applied the clear coat. While Paul was spraying the doors, Jordan and Cole built the rear bumper and installed it with all new hardware. This week we will get the doors back on the vehicle and continue the assembly process.
The FJ has been moving along just fine. The bumpers have been stripped, repaired and primed. Today we were able to sand the bumpers for paint tomorrow and got the doors trimmed out. We also stopped and painted the grill and the side vents and cover. They really turned out nice. The grill should look great when it’s back in its rightful place. We have a couple of finishing touches to put on the grill before that happens though. The doors really look nice. Hopefully by Friday we hope to have the outside painted so that they can go back on the vehicle next week. This will only leave the tops of the front fenders left to repair and paint. This rare FJ is looking better and better.
Here we have the finished product! After a good long while in the shop, this Ghia is headed home today. I know the owner is happy to have her car back. Im not sure what wheels are planned for this beauty, but I will post pictures of it when she gets them on.
Here we have a beautiful 1957 Chevy Bel-Air in the shop to get a new lease on life. We started by disassembling the front end and sending all of the parts out for stripping. Once back from the blasters, Jordan got to work sanding all of the parts prepping them for primer. Since this is an extremely important step, extra time was taken to be sure the metal was as clean as possible. Today we hung up all the parts and prepped them for PPG’s DP epoxy primer and applied 2 good coats. Next step will be to perform any metal work that needs to be done and start straightening the panels. The inner panels and fresh air vents will be prepped for paint since they wont really need any body work. Stay tuned.
The new paint job on this 1971 Challenger is all wrapped up and ready to go. We had only a few minor places to repair on this one before spraying a nice base coat clear coat to bring it back to life. Once the paint had a few days to cure, the factory stripes were installed and really make all the difference in the world. It looks like a different car. The green paint with the green side stripes were at first a little questionable but now that they are on, Wow! What a difference. I really like the look of the color combination. Once the black vinyl top is on and a few bits of chrome here and there, this will be one sharp car. The owner will be bringing it back for some grand finale pictures when its all done.