After a few good days of prepping the floor and bottom of the cab we were finally able to spray it. The first couple of pictures show how not prepping panels properly turn out. The black peeling paint is actually POR 15. It was improperly applied so we removed it before applying our coatings over it. We started with a coat of PPG’s DPLV epoxy primer over the bare metal and properly prepared panels. We actually did that yesterday afternoon. This morning we came in applied SEM seam sealer to the seams and the weld areas where patches were installed. Once the seam sealer was dry, Jordan sprayed 2 coats of Raptor liner over the DP. This well provide a water proof barrier for the under side of this truck that will still look very nice. While we were at it, we also sprayed the inside of the bedsides that are exposed to the bottom of the truck. Up next, its time to start spraying some panels while we finish up the body work on the cab.
Cab’s on deck
Although we haven’t posted in a while on our restoration projects, we have worked on them some. Here is the cab on the C-10 that we have been working on. We started with the bed a couple of months ago and now we are onto the cab. As you can see its already in epoxy primer and we have started some body work. We did find a few too many pin holes to repair in the left and right floor pans so we will go ahead and replace them in a week or so. We have gotten a start on the body repairs in the meantime. Keep an eye out for this one. Its going to be a real head turner.
Back in the saddle
After many weeks of going full tilt on collision cars, we have opened up some breathing room and are back on the oldie goldies. We spent some time off and on block sanding this ’57 but the past couple of days have been pretty prosperous. Block sanding a vehicle with this much surface area was pretty time consuming as well as hard on the shoulders and elbows. The firewall was another area that was pretty tedious. Now, most of that is done and we really just have a few corners and channels to sand and a few places in the trunk before its ready for paint. It should be a real looker when we have all the color on it.
Time for bed
We have been working pretty hard and heavy on the the C-10 these past few weeks and its paying off. The hood is completely finished and ready for paint. The next time it gets sanded, it will be painted. The body work on the outside of the bedsides are done and in their second priming. We will block those out one more time and prime them once more to ensure they are straight. The body work on the inside of the bedsides was finished up today and they were primed as well. All in all, quite a bit of work getting done on this one. Next we finish the outsides of the beds then its on to the cab and doors.
Straightening the curves
Now that the outside of the bedsides are straight, its time for the insides. Same steps here as the outsides. Block out the primer to find the highs and lows, tap the highs down and fill the lows. Since this truck is 45 years old, it has some wear and tear. We are going to go ahead and also fill the pitting that has occurred from years of use along with the spot welds to make the insides of these smooth as silk. Its little things like that that make it a little different than the others.
Its a block party!
In the words of Ice Cube, today was a good day. Lots of body work was completed on the quarters, the bottom of the hood and bottom portion of the bed floor was sprayed with epoxy. Once the epoxy was dry the bed floor was sprayed with bed liner. Tomorrow we plan on flipping the bed floor over, spraying epoxy on it and bed lining it as well. We will also spray the top side of the hood with high build epoxy and I hope to re-prime the bedsides. Its a tall order but we are really close to finishing up the body work on the bedsides.
Let the fun begin
Here you can see we have gotten started on the bodywork on the ’71 C10. This truck will be restoration with a few twists to make it more fun to drive and look better than when it was new. Paul worked on sanding the bottom of the bed in preparation for its epoxy coating followed by Raptor liner bed liner. The top side will also receive the same treatment. While Paul was working on that, Jordan and I was straightening out the bedsides. This truck has seen its days as a work truck. The beds are not in horrible shape but do need quite a bit of straightening out. All the molding holes have already been welded up as well as the side marker lights. These areas must now be straightened. We primed these panels a few weeks ago using PPG’s Vibrance line of high build epoxy. We then blocked the bedsides out with 80 grit sandpaper and started the body work you see here. Once the outsides of these bedsides are straight, we will prime these 2 more times to be sure they are nice and straight. This will ensure a slick paint job that you can also use as a mirror. Cole worked the hood over really good. Cleaning the pits of rust out and sanding it so we can apply epoxy to it as well. We also metal worked the hood out at this time to minimize filler. Tomorrow we plan on spraying some primer and bedliner so stay tuned.