Blog Archives

Parts everywhere

DSCF7977 DSCF7974 DSCF7978 DSCF7981 DSCF7981 DSCF7984Yesterday we prepped these parts for the ’52 Ford for paint. We blasted these parts a couple of weeks ago, but havent had a chance to paint them yet. We started off by sanding them with 180 grit paper to get a smooth surface. We then cleaned them very well with wax and grease remover. We then hung each part up in the booth so that all sides could be sprayed at the same time. Paul took over here by spraying a coat of PPG’s DPLV epoxy sealer. Once that was dry, it was followed with a couple of coats of eggshell black single stage. Most of these parts you will never see once on the truck but they must all function and look presentable just in case. Once reassembled, these parts will be ready for another 70 years of service.

Advertisements

Crabbie cabbie

DSCF7903DSCF7905DSCF7906DSCF7912DSCF7922DSCF7921DSCF7919Today was very productive. We spent all morning sanding the cab to smooth up the metal so the epoxy would have a nice surface to bite to. After all the panels were sanded, special attention was paid to all the little nooks and crannies, and believe me, there were hundreds of them. After lunch, the cab was moved into the booth and was wiped down many times to ensure a good clean surface. We sprayed epoxy on the bottom of the cab first, then carefully set it down to spray the rest once it had set up some. Paul did a wonderful job getting primer in all the hidden and hard to reach areas. If any are found tomorrow, we will brush them in for coverage. Tomorrow we will also seam seal all of the cracks and crevasses that may hold water. Once that is dry, we will apply 3 good coats of slick sand high build primer and also spray the Raptor liner in the floor and bottom of the cab.

Bare bones

DSCF7900 DSCF7901 DSCF7899Today we were able to spend some time sanding on the cab to the ’52 Ford. Just like all bare metal projects, we started with 80 grit on a dual action sander. This smooths the metal and preps it for the epoxy primer that comes next. We got the outside pretty good, but sill have the inside to sand. We hope to get that done tomorrow. If it all works out, the bottom of the cab and the inside of the floor will have epoxy and our Raptor liner spray in bed liner sprayed on them by the end of the week.

Rust no more

DSCF7889 DSCF7890 DSCF7880 DSCF7881 DSCF7882 DSCF7883 DSCF7884 DSCF7885Today we were able to get the slick sand applied to the Ghia. Slick Sand is a very high build primer that allows us to block out the fine waves and ripples in sheet metal. Once that was dry enough to move out of the booth, we put the hood and deck lid in the booth to spray the epoxy on them. We sprayed the bottom side and then the top once it was dry enough to turn over. Monday we will apply the slick sand to these parts.  Now that the body is water tight with no worries about rusting from hand prints and humidity, we will start with the major rust repair in the rockers and floor pans.

Epoxy primer

DSCF7874 DSCF7875 DSCF7873 DSCF7879 DSCF7877 DSCF7876Today was epoxy day for the Ghia. We spent the morning hours prepping the car for primer. We sanded the entire car with 80 grit paper and used a grinder to remove body filler from the lower front center section. Once the metal was ready, we blew the dust off of all the nooks and crannies then wiped it down several times to be sure it was clean. Then we masked off the interior to keep things neat. Now its time for Paul to spray the epoxy. PPG’s epoxy primer is designed to seal up the metal and provide excellent adhesion to the metal and the subsequent products that will go on top of it. Since epoxy takes a while to dry, and it was late in the day, we chose to apply the Slick Sand primer tomorrow morning. Slick Sand primer will provide us with enough material to block out to ensure we have flat straight surface as well as a great base to do body work over. Stay tuned tomorrow to see it in its Slick Sand glory.

The Door

DSCF7752 DSCF7758 DSCF7757 DSCF7767 DSCF7766This is the other door on the ’52 Ford. While I was working on the Ghia, Chris was hard at it on the door. He started by sanding the entire door, inside and out. During the sanding process, Chris found a few small holes that needed to be welded up so that was take care of right away. Those were then ground down smooth again then it was prepped for epoxy primer. It was hung up so all areas could get primed. Epoxy provides great protection for the metal and has great adhesion to bare metal. This will dry over night and we hope to start the body work on here tomorrow. This door is in MUCH better shape than the left one.

%d bloggers like this: