Today Chris and I spent right much time working on the ’52 Ford. We started this morning by applying Alumifill to the welded areas on the fenders. We then smoothed those areas up, we will finish repairing those areas later. Once all the welded areas were ready, we applied a good coat of DPLV epoxy primer. This seals up all the metal areas. This product really likes bare metal. It provides a superb barrier for the metal and it is a great foundation for the subsequent layers. These panels were meticulously cleaned and before this primer was sprayed. They were wiped down numerous times to ensure they were as clean as possible. Tomorrow we will apply primer to running boards and the rest of the panels will get a few coats of Slick sand. Since the running boards are new, there is no reason for a high build primer. The other panels are all original and they do need a thicker primer. This is used to smooth out minor low spots and help make the panel flat and straight as an arrow. Stay tuned. We will keep you posted.
Another milestone reached today on the ’52 Ford. After all the hard work of getting the rear fenders straight, they were painted this afternoon. Chris and I spent the morning blocking out the final primer coat that was sprayed on last week. Once that was done, we went over the panels with a DA sander with a soft interface pad to remove the blocking scratches. Once the sanding was done, we put the panels in the booth, masked off the back side of them to keep the red paint off of the bedliner then sprayed a coat of urethane sealer on them. After the sealer was dry, 3 coats of red was sprayed. After those coats were dry, 3 coats of clear were laid down nice and slick. The clear coat will be sanded in a week or so and buffed back out to a super high gloss. This process makes the paint look a mile deep and provides the ultimate in reflection.
These are custom parts for the ’52 Ford. They are designed to fill in the area around the radiator to provide a finished smoothed up look when the hood is opened. Chris started by grinding down all the welds and smoothing up some edges. Then he repaired the top side of the large cover to hide all the welded areas. Once that was done, they were hung up in the booth and a coat of epoxy was sprayed on both sides of the parts. This coating is water proof and really adheres to bare metal. Once the epoxy had dried we seam sealed all the welded places up on the back side to keep water from getting in the welds. Lastly 3 good coats of urethane primer was sprayed on the bigger parts that will be seen. The other parts are basically brackets and braces. These pieces will be painted a flat black so the extra priming steps are not needed here. The grey primer parts will be body color and will look as good as the outside of the truck. Next week, we keep plugging along on this one. Have a great weekend!!
After spending a few days on these fenders, Chris has gotten them ready for primer. The body work has been moving along nicely on them of the past few days. Its a tedious process of applying filler, blocking the filler ensure a flat smooth surface and repeating those steps where necessary. Towards the end of the day today, we primed them. Tomorrow we will block out this primer, fix any places we missed and prime them yet again. Yes, its a lot of steps but its necessary to ensure a quality repair.