The Ghia is in its final coat of primer! Pretty big day today for this little car. For the past few weeks we have been going over this one with a fine tooth comb to prepare it for primer. We started by setting it up in the booth first thing this morning. We jacked it up on stands to get it up off the floor some to make priming the rockers a bit easier. We then masked off the areas that were not getting primed and wiped the car down with wax and grease remover. A full coat of epoxy primer was sprayed first to ensure good adhesion to the bare metal areas. Once that was dry, we applied 4 good coats of PPG urethane primer. We did find about 3 areas that will need a little more work, which is not uncommon. As thorough as we were, we are still human. Luckily, they are pretty easy fixes and wont take all that long. Next we will start blocking this out one last time in preparation for paint
I know. We have been gone for a while. We have been slammed with work over the past 8 weeks or so and its been a quite a few late nights and here at the shop and writing posts just hasn’t been top priority. We did find a couple of guys to work part time hours for us and are really thankful for them. They have helped us out tremendously. We reached a pretty big milestone with the Ghia this week. As you can see its back on all fours. But lets back up a bit to see what all as been done. We ordered a narrowed and adjustable front beam for this Ghia. The owner wanted it to sit lower than factory and an adjustable beam is the best way to get it there. The reason its narrowed too is because when you lower them, the tires sometimes rub on the fender wells. You narrow it to move the wheels in some to allow for some clearance there. This also opens up more options for different wheels and tires if she desires. We also replaced the tie rods, tie rod ends, new leaf springs, new steering damper, sway bar and master cylinder. We also installed the newly rebuilt pedal assembly along with a new clutch cable and throttle cable. While we were at it, we also replaced the heater box cables. On the dash, we did away with a few holes that will be no longer needed and added one for the Bluetooth microphone. We also had to clean up the radio hole a bit. It was cut a little too large the first time, so we added some metal and reshaped it for a nice fit. While working on the dash we also added a lighted accessory plug to charge cell phones or plug in a GPS. A new pan gasket between the body and pan is held into place with all new body bolts. Our agenda holds this car getting primer on Friday or at least by the first of the week if Murphy shows up with that law of his.
Today was trim out day for the Ghia We had these panels ready for paint for a little while now but just havent had a chance to get the sprayed. Today that happened. We spent the morning prepping them and this afternoon we were able to get them into the booth and painted. The owner picked this very classy looking Nissan color which I think will look very nice. She has also decided to lower the front end just a bit which I think is a great idea. We have all of those parts on order and they should arrive in a few days. Once those are here we will rebuild the front end . We still have a little custom work to do to the dash then the body will be ready for primer. We will need to mate the body back to the chassis before we prime it but after the front end is built. Enjoy these painted parts in the meantime.
The body work on the Ghia is pretty much complete. We have all of the body panels straight and ready for the the final prime. We will find a small area here or there while prepping the body for primer but for the most part, its ready. In these pictures show that we still have to sand everything down with 180 before priming. We did get a bit of that done today but not quite the whole car. We also still need to sand the jambs and the dash before priming. We do hope to have that done over the next couple of days. It is a relief though to know that the hard work has paid off and the body is straight and solid.
We have been putting in some time on the Ghia this week as well. We have the front signals filled in and all smoothed up. We also welded in a new piece at the right front corner of the hood. There was a hole there where the nose, fender and hood meet. We have decided that the lower front center section is just too thin to try to keep welding up. Last week a new piece was ordered for that, you can see it in the last picture. We will end up cutting some of that off and only use what we really have to. We will also be ordering up the early round style front turn signals to replace the large rectangle ones we removed. We also continued the body work and sanding over the rest of the car. This process seems to take for ever but its very important to be sure we get the body as straight as possible to ensure quality results.