Back on the ’71 Ghia today. We spent a good portion of the afternoon blocking out some body panels and a little body work. If you remember this car was stripped, epoxy primed and slick sand was also applied. That is the grey product you see here. Its a very high building primer that allows us smooth out the waves and ripples to ensure a super straight end product. These panels were blocked with 80 grit on a long block. This showed us where the high and low spots were. These were repaired and the hood and trunk lid are straight and ready for their final prime. The roof was also blocked out but time ran out before we could finish up the body work. We still have some extensive rust repair to do on this car when the parts come in. We should be getting on those repairs in the next week or so.
After getting all the logistics worked out with the insurance company, we got right to work on this Ghia. We fixed the fender up and removed all necessary items to ensure a quality paint job then slid it into the booth for painting. The repair area was sealed with PPG’s urethane sealer followed by several coats of red base coat. Then 2 coats of PPG’s high solid clear was sprayed to protect the color coat and provide the gloss. We are still waiting on some parts to wrap this little car up, but so far the process has gone very smoothly.
I spent most of the day working on the Ghia. I started by removing the spaghetti system aka that big conglomerant of wires in the first two pictures. Then I removed the wiring that goes to the back of the car for the engine and battery. I had to be careful not to damage the turn signal wires or the windshield wiper system because these must be reused. Everything else will be replaced with new and updated parts. Next, the rear side glasses, chrome trim and rubber gaskets were removed. Then out with the gas tank and in all of the interior. This one is pretty well stripped down now and is ready to be blasted. We will have all the paint removed so a first class paint job can be sprayed. This car will really be awesome when we get it done.
We took a little time this afternoon to check out the work that will be needed on the Karmann Ghia. As with most old cars, when you start really inspecting areas you find things that were previously repaired or hidden over the years. I dont think this Karmann Ghia is in bad shape, but we did find some extensive rust in the inner rockers and sub-par repair on the left fender. We plan on going over this one more tomorrow to see if we can find all the little surprises that may be in store for us.