Blog Archives

FJ Cruiser

DSCF9987DSCF9991DSCF9989DSCF9988The FJ has been getting a little work on here this week. We fixed quite a few dents and finished out some panel body work. We were able to get some primer on here to protect what we have been working on. We did find a  couple of places that need a little more attention after getting primer on here. Nothing really major, but we will take care of it before the final prime. This sure will be a cool vehicle when its done.

Almost paint day

dscf9903dscf9904The prep on the Ghia is coming along very well. The car has been fully block sanded and most of the outside has had its final sand. We do have a little more sanding to do in the trunk and engine compartment before we are ready to pull the trigger. We only have a coulple of small areas to reprime and a couple more hours of final sanding before paint hopefully on Friday.

Prime time

dscf9859dscf9858dscf9857dscf9864dscf9865dscf9866dscf9873dscf9874dscf9883dscf9882dscf9885dscf9887dscf9888The Ghia is in its final coat of primer!  Pretty big day today for this little car. For the past few weeks we have been going over this one with a fine tooth comb to prepare it for primer. We started by setting it up in the booth first thing this morning. We jacked it up on stands to get it up off the floor some to make priming the rockers a bit easier. We then masked off the areas that were not getting primed and wiped the car down with wax and grease remover. A full coat of epoxy primer was sprayed first to ensure good adhesion to the bare metal areas. Once that was dry, we applied 4 good coats of PPG urethane primer. We did find about 3 areas that will need a little more work, which is not uncommon. As thorough as we were, we are still human. Luckily, they are pretty easy fixes and wont take all that long. Next we will start blocking this out one last time in preparation for paint

Doors are done

dscf9700dscf9702dscf9703dscf9704dscf9686dscf9687dscf9688dscf9690dscf9691dscf9692dscf9693dscf9694dscf9695dscf9696dscf9697dscf9698Phew, what a day. Today we started priming the doors first thing this morning. The epoxy primer takes a while to dry so we wanted to get it on as soon as possible so we could get the urethane primer on it before we left. This now brings us to the point where the hood, deck lid, and doors are all ready for paint. Next for these panels they will be blocked sanded and prepped for paint. While Paul was spraying the doors, Cole and I got back to work on the body. I am very pleased with the quarters and rear body panel. The back half of the car is pretty much done. Maybe a little work here or there but for the most part they are done. We also worked on the jambs and left fender some more. We did make great progress on the fender but its not quite ready just yet. Stay tuned.

Prime time

dscf9665Here you can see we have the Mazda all ready for paint. We finished up the body work today and primed it. After blocking out the primer and prepping the rest of the panels for paint we washed it and have it in the booth for tomorrow, paint day.

Too close

dscf9654dscf9653dscf9652dscf9658dscf9659You know those posts that keep you from hitting a gas pump or the ATM ?  Dont you hate it when they move them?  Thats what we have here. It happens to the best of us from time to time. Luckily we were able to straighten this one out with out having to install a new panel. We will be fixing the rear bumper as well but most of that damage was just on the surface. We started by removing all the parts that were necessary. We then welded some tabs to the quarter to pull that sheet metal back into shape. We then used a stud welder to pull out the remaining low areas and tapped down the high ones. We then used filler to start smoothing up the body. This is about as far as we got today. Tomorrow we plan on having this one in primer and ready for paint on Thursday.

Just a trim

dscf9657dscf9656dscf9655Here we have Prius thats in the shop to get a few panels repaired and replaced. A new quarter was in order here and that is on and trimmed out. We did come across a few small parts that had to be ordered and those are on the way. Tomorrow we hope to get this on painted so we can start reassembly on Thursday.

Body moving, body moving

dscf9646dscf9648dscf9660dscf9647dscf9661dscf9649dscf9650dscf9651Not sure why I had the Beastie Boys on my mind when writing this post, but it does fit. We have been doing lots of body work on the Ghia. We came in and worked last weekend on it and several hours this week as well. We did cut out a previously repaired patch that I just wasnt happy with. We replaced it with a single larger one and the job is much nicer for it. We also have the lower right rear sheet metal in place. The silver filler material is a product called All Metal. Its great to use over welded patches because of its water proofing abilities. We use this over welds for starters then finish up with filler to do the fine tuning. The body work is coming along and the only welding left on the car now is a few places on the lower front. We hope to get moving on those tomorrow.

Ghia time

dscf9646dscf9647Here we have an update on the Ghia. Although its not progressing as much as I’d like it is moving. I have brought in a guy to help out with some welding since our collision business has been so heavy this past bit. We do have quite a bit of welding wrapped up and we have also been doing some body work. Here you can see the work on the quarters. The area on the left is where that huge patch of rust was cut out. We are now welding up the front end and a small patch is still left in the left quarter. We plan on spending a few hours on it this weekend to play a little catch up.

Shine on

dscf9642dscf9641dscf9640dscf9639dscf9645dscf9644dscf9643Here are the pictures of the Porsche with the clear coat. Next week we will get this one back together and back to the customer.

%d bloggers like this: