Last week the guys put the finishing touches on the doors to the FJ. The bodywork is all wrapped up on them and Paul has sprayed the last few coats on primer on them before the final blocking for paint. We hope to be getting the body in its final primer this week which should wrap up the body work on the FJ. It will then be turned over the paint shop for its prep for paint.
The Ghia is in its final coat of primer! Pretty big day today for this little car. For the past few weeks we have been going over this one with a fine tooth comb to prepare it for primer. We started by setting it up in the booth first thing this morning. We jacked it up on stands to get it up off the floor some to make priming the rockers a bit easier. We then masked off the areas that were not getting primed and wiped the car down with wax and grease remover. A full coat of epoxy primer was sprayed first to ensure good adhesion to the bare metal areas. Once that was dry, we applied 4 good coats of PPG urethane primer. We did find about 3 areas that will need a little more work, which is not uncommon. As thorough as we were, we are still human. Luckily, they are pretty easy fixes and wont take all that long. Next we will start blocking this out one last time in preparation for paint
Phew, what a day. Today we started priming the doors first thing this morning. The epoxy primer takes a while to dry so we wanted to get it on as soon as possible so we could get the urethane primer on it before we left. This now brings us to the point where the hood, deck lid, and doors are all ready for paint. Next for these panels they will be blocked sanded and prepped for paint. While Paul was spraying the doors, Cole and I got back to work on the body. I am very pleased with the quarters and rear body panel. The back half of the car is pretty much done. Maybe a little work here or there but for the most part they are done. We also worked on the jambs and left fender some more. We did make great progress on the fender but its not quite ready just yet. Stay tuned.
Here you can see we have the Mazda all ready for paint. We finished up the body work today and primed it. After blocking out the primer and prepping the rest of the panels for paint we washed it and have it in the booth for tomorrow, paint day.
Here are the pictures of the Porsche with the clear coat. Next week we will get this one back together and back to the customer.
This is the results of the Freshen up post from yesterday. The paint job turned out very nice. Now with a base coat clear coat finish, the owner will not have that dry, chalky, dull paint anymore. We even did a headlight restoration on this one to make it safer at night and help with the appearance. We did get most of this one put back together today and should finish up the reassembly tomorrow.