The ’67 Beetle has been on the road to recovery this week. It received sound deadening material yesterday to ensure a quiet ride and 1 of 2 last minute rust repair procedures. The bottoms of the B-posts are rusted and it has very thin metal and holes on each side. Here you can see Chris welding in the patch panel on the left side. The right is just a little bit worse off that this side, but still plenty fixable. Once these are on, we will POR 15 the inner parts to prolong the metal thats inside there. This area will get body worked out next week as well as welding in the other side.
Phew, what a day. Today we cut out the old rusty crusty rockers on the Ghia. We spent a good portion of the day drilling out the welds and cutting the outer sheet metal so the rockers and heater channels could be removed. Once all the bad stuff was out of the way, we started fitting the new heater channel in the car and got a pretty good fit on it. You can see in the 4th picture where the new channels will weld up to the wheel house inner brace. Since we didnt have the outer rocker panel we didnt weld anything up on the inner channel. We need to kind of fit all these pieces in to make sure it all fits as it should. Those parts came in about 4;30 today so tomorrow we should be able to get the test fitting complete and start welding in some parts. It was a dirty job but glad things have gone really smoothly.
This 1967 Beetle is in the shop to get a make over. There will be some rust repair done on this one and a factory Zenith Blue paint job on it when its done. Here is what we got done on it today. The luggage tray was pretty rusty so it was removed today and we checked for other rust while in there. We also found that we will be needing to replace the left rear bumper mounting bracket and the metal behind it as well. Luckily, the make both of these parts and the rest of the parts needed to do the job right. These parts are on order, so it will be a few days before you see us putting them in. Stay tuned. This will be a cool project.