Yo Holmes, to Bel-Air
Here we have a beautiful 1957 Chevy Bel-Air in the shop to get a new lease on life. We started by disassembling the front end and sending all of the parts out for stripping. Once back from the blasters, Jordan got to work sanding all of the parts prepping them for primer. Since this is an extremely important step, extra time was taken to be sure the metal was as clean as possible. Today we hung up all the parts and prepped them for PPG’s DP epoxy primer and applied 2 good coats. Next step will be to perform any metal work that needs to be done and start straightening the panels. The inner panels and fresh air vents will be prepped for paint since they wont really need any body work. Stay tuned.
Keeping with the theme of working on the underside of this Chevelle, we decided to get the frame painted today. We spoke with the owner and they will be getting new gas lines and brake lines next week so we should be mating the frame and body back together soon. This black frame will look great against the blue on the bottom of the car.
Let their be light
Today we pulled out the hide away headlight brackets. Chris disassembled them and sand blasted them. After they were all stripped and all cleaned up, Chase did the magic in the booth. First of all a coat of epoxy primer was sprayed, followed by a couple of coats of egg shell black. They cleaned up very nice. While the guys was doing this, I was busy with the wiring of the headlights and of the turn signals. Maybe we will have some pictures of that tomorrow.
This is a Murray Champion pedal car. They made 2 versions of this model, a straight side and dip side. This one is the dip side version. This pedal car still belongs to the original owner. He has decided he want to bring it back to its original luster. This version was first introduced in 1951. I am not sure what year this one was made, but I can assure you that it has been well used and loved over its life time. We first started by disassembling the car. Then we sand blasted the parts that would fit in our cabinet. The body will go out to the same blasters that do our full size cars. New wheels, hub caps, tires, steering wheel and decals are all in order here. We are good, but not quite that good. The rest we will recondition and paint as best we can. It should be fully operational when finished. Stay tuned to see the progress.
Today was a great day! We sprayed some epoxy primer on some Chevelle parts and slick sand on the fenders. The epoxy is great for bare metal. It fully encapsulates the panel with a tough water proof coating that sticks to metal better than glue. Over top of that we sprayed 3 coats of slick sand super high build primer on the outside of the fenders. There is no reason to put that on the inside parts of the jambs. The product is costly and its very labor intensive to sand. So we dont use it on jambs. The Slick Sand is used to have a thick film build to have something to block. Blocking ensures that the panel is straight and free from waves and small dings. Its a long tedious process but it pays off in the long run.
We were also able to get the doors off and taken fully apart today. Here you see Chris cleaning up some edges on the jambs. The hinges were sandblasted today too. Tomorrow we hope to get the doors to the same point the fenders are to today.