Back on the ’71 Ghia today. We spent a good portion of the afternoon blocking out some body panels and a little body work. If you remember this car was stripped, epoxy primed and slick sand was also applied. That is the grey product you see here. Its a very high building primer that allows us smooth out the waves and ripples to ensure a super straight end product. These panels were blocked with 80 grit on a long block. This showed us where the high and low spots were. These were repaired and the hood and trunk lid are straight and ready for their final prime. The roof was also blocked out but time ran out before we could finish up the body work. We still have some extensive rust repair to do on this car when the parts come in. We should be getting on those repairs in the next week or so.
For the past few days, we have been working on the cab to the ’52 Ford. We have the body work pretty well wrapped up. Here you can see we slid it into the booth for primer. We masked off the dash, we will use a different primer on that area later this week. Once this primer is set up and dried, we will block it out and re-prime the whole cab with our finishing primer. Once that happens, the next step is more RED paint.
Today we were able to spend some time sanding on the cab to the ’52 Ford. Just like all bare metal projects, we started with 80 grit on a dual action sander. This smooths the metal and preps it for the epoxy primer that comes next. We got the outside pretty good, but sill have the inside to sand. We hope to get that done tomorrow. If it all works out, the bottom of the cab and the inside of the floor will have epoxy and our Raptor liner spray in bed liner sprayed on them by the end of the week.
The hood on the ’52 received a few coats of slick sand today. We have been working on the body work on this hood for the past few weeks. This truck has been used as a truck over its life and it has the battle scars to prove it. We got the body work really close and decided to put on a few coats of the super high build primer to get a few more layers to block out. If that turns out well, we will prime it once more with PPG’s urethane primer. That will then be blocked again and before its painted. Good to see this one moving along again.