Still working on the ’57 to wrap up the week. Today we were able to get the doors and deck lid sanded down for buffing. Jordan started on the deck lid then moved to the doors. Paul couldn’t resist the fun and quickly helped Jordan out. Once they had the truck ready, Paul started the buffing process while Jordan sanded the doors. Just like the sanding process, the buffing process consists of 3 steps. First step is a cutting compound. This process removes the sanding scratches but leaves its on scratches from the process. The next step is a polishing compound that removes the scratches left by the first, but it too leaves really fine swirl marks. The final step removes the really fine swirls and leaves the paint super smooth and scratch free. Its a long process but very worth it when only the best will do. We didnt quite get done with the buffing, but the last picture shows what the paint looks like after one round of step 2. Yes, sometimes you have to go over it a few times to get it right but its worth it in the end.
Yesterday started off with a little sand blasting. Jordan blasted the hood hinges and the door hinges for the ’57 Chevy. Once they were done, Cole took his turn sanding them back down smooth. Once that was finished up, Paul cleaned them up and sprayed a coat of DP epoxy on them and followed that with the appropriate colors for the parts. The hood hinges were painted a soft silver color with a flat clear coat and the door hinges were painted the factory Tropical Turquoise then cleared with a high gloss clear. Today we started the wet sanding process. This part of the paint job separates the men from the boys. This is where the super smooth, mirror like finish comes from. Jordan started with 1000 grit sand paper and carefully sanded the clear coat to remove what little orange peel was there. He then went back over that with 2000 grit paper and followed that will 3000. This process will provide a super high gloss and an ultra flat surface. You will easily be able to shave using this paint as a mirror.
The Cobra is moving right along. Here you can see in the first two pictures what it looks like after wet sanding the clear coat. This is what was done yesterday. We sanded the entire car starting with 1000 grit sand paper then 2000 then 3000. Then we washed the car. This morning Paul and Chris started buffing the paint back out to bring the shine back out. Just like the sanding process, its done in steps. The first step is a heavy cutting compound that gets the scratches out. The next step up shines up the compound scratches. The final step brings up the high gloss back. This is where we ran out of time today. We will put a final hand polish on here next week and then start the reassembly process. Then this Cobra will be back on the streets.
More progress on code red today. The running boards, lower dash and a fender extension were all painted today. While Paul was spraying these, Chris and I was sanding the fenders and cab in preparation for buffing. We started off by sanding the parts with 1000 grit to remove the slight peel. This is where the looks like glass comes from. After the we sand with 1000, we switch to 2000 and sand it by hand again. Once that was completed we sand it a third time with 3000 grit but on a DA sander. This process makes buffing a little easier and really makes for a nice finished product. We will start buffing these out tomorrow and should get it done and all cleaned and polished up.
Update on the Avalon here. Today we started the repair on the hood and right front door early this morning. Things went very well with this team effort. Chris worked the door while Paul worked the hood. This enabled us to get it in primer just after lunch. A few hours of dry time and Paul was able to get it sanded before we finished for the day. We should have the parts in the morning. Once they come in, we will get the fender trimmed out and installed as well as prep the bumper for paint. If all goes well, it would be nice to get this one painted tomorrow. Dont want to over promise, but its possible.
These are the fenders for the ’52 Ford. We wet sanded and buffed them today. We started with 1000 grit sandpaper and a block. The block and 1000 grit paper is used to flatten out the clear coat and remove what little orange peel. Once we finished up with the 1000 by block, we went over it once more with 1000 by hand. We then switched to 2000. Lastly we went over the panel with 3000 grit on a dual action sander. Once all that was completed we started buffing with a heavy cut compound and wool pad. This process removes all of the scratches from the sanding process but leaves the panel kinda dull. We then switched to a polishing compound. This brings the shine back up. We then go over it one last time to bring out the ultimate shine. Finally we hand polished it to the immaculate shine you see here. These steps were done to both rear fenders today. Not to shabby for a days work.