This Miata was the victim of some vandalism a few weeks ago. We started by sanding all the scratches out and removing the parts to ensure a quality job. We will be removing door handles and mirrors as well, we just ran out of time today. There are also a few dents in this car that will also get repaired. Once those are fixed we will prime everything at the same time. Block out the primer then prep for paint would be next on the list.
The past few days Chris has been working diligently on the doors and fenders for the ’67 Chevelle. We painted these parts a few weeks ago and now its time to go the extra mile for the High Performance Finish. We started by blocking these panels out with 1000 grit sandpaper to ensure a smooth flat surface. We then switched to 2000 grit paper to make the buffing a little easier. Then 3000 on a dual action sander to speed the buffing process up even more. These extra steps are what it takes to provide our customers with the ultimate in gloss and depth. Just take a look for yourself.
This is a few parts off of the ’71 Chevelle we have been working on. The color is quite unique. It is Carolina blue. The car is called a Carolina Girl. Chevrolet painted a few cars each year and sent them to North Carolina as a special edition. This one has lived its entire life in Burlington. In fact, It grew up, only about a mile from the shop. The new owner wanted to keep it the original color but wanted to add his personal touch to it. Well, we figured out what that touch was going to be this week. He likes racing stripes, but didnt know for sure if he wanted them on this car. When we described how we can ghost stripes, he got curious. So Wednesday we ghosted the stripes in for him to see and luck was on our side. We nailed it. If you look closely, you can see the stripes just barely visible. The owner and his family were very pleased with the way they turned out. We also wet sanded and buffed the fenders today. This process is part of our “High Performance Finish” paint jobs. We did get the doors buffed out last week, so all thats left is to buff the body and paint the stripes on the hood, then reassemble.
Yesterday we pulled out the doors for the Chevelle. Jordan wet sanded them starting with 1000 grit, then 2000, followed by 3000. Once he had that done, Chris buffed them back up to a brilliant shine. Just like the sanding process, the buffing process has 3 steps. First step is a heavy compound followed by a medium compound then a light polishing compound. The purpose of these steps is to remove any orange peel in the paint. This is where the ultimate gloss comes from. These extra steps are labor intensive but really make the paint pop right off the car. This is what distinguishes a High Performance Finish from a standard paint job.
The Mustang make over is a little closer to being done. Chris worked the buffer today to bring the shine back up after all the wet sanding was complete. We started wet sanding it yesterday. 1000 grit followed by 2000 grit then finally 3000 grit paper. When buffing, the best procedure is to start with a heavy cutting compound then switch to a light cutting compound followed by a light polishing glaze. Then a good ole fashioned hand polish will bring the shine back to life. Chris was able to get 2 of the buffing steps complete. Tomorrow we will get the final polishing glaze done and the hand polish. We should have time to start putting it back together as well.
Yesterday and today we wet sanded and buffed the Mustang. We also had time today to start some of the reassembly. When we wet sand we start with 1000 grit paper. This process is to remove any orange peel and/or imperfections in the clear. After the 1000, we switched to 2000 grit paper then we used 3000. These last two steps are to make buffing easier. When we buff we start with a heavy cutting compound the switch to a lighter cutting compound, followed by a polishing compound. After the buffing was complete we started putting parts back on. We were able to get the trunk back together, spoiler on, the sail panels on, and the doors all back together. Tomorrow we hope to get the fenders on, bumpers on and the rocker moldings. Once that is done, all thats left is to get it all detailed for the owner. Who knows, if the weather cooperates it could be Friday.
Phew, what a work out. Chris and I started blocking out the body on the Camaro this morning. We used our tried and true 3 step method of 1000 then 2000 then 3000 grit steps. Then we started the buffing process. I know my shoulders will feel it tomorrow. The pictures of the car wet but with dull paint is what the clear looks like after sanding it. The purpose of this step is to remove the orange peel. This is going the extra mile. This is what makes paint really shine and POP! You can see this in the picture of the two meat heads in the reflection. Now that this is done its time to start putting it all back together. From here on out, each step will be looking more and more like a car. We did put the bulk head in and installed the dash vents for the a/c. Next week we should have the doors, fenders, trunk, engine installed.